Apache Redirecting

Reaction score
I have a website, but since my ISP doesn't let me host a website on my port 80, I had to change the port to 8081.
Now, it works fine, but i have to type www.mywebsite.com:8081 everytime.
I was wondering if it was possible to forward www.mywebsite.com:8081 to www.mywebsite.com.
My idea for doing this was to use mod_rewrite in apache, but i have had trouble with understanding this stuff, so if anyone has any ideas, please post them.
Thank you very much in advance!

fov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.8 15" & Sony Vaio running Ubuntu 9.04
Just for confirmation you have you set up like this:
The cloud-------------------->your internet connection-->your router--->your computer serving the site
(everyone on the internet)

And the issue is your internet connection doesnt allow traffic in over port 80?

In which case no there is nothing reasonable you can do. You could put a reverse proxy somewhere like a datacenter and have that server from port 80 but you would be spending 50x just getting some hosting.

I would advise you get some normal shared hosting. Its so cheap now, just dont fall for any of the unlimited rubbish or godaddy very oversold nastyness.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, the problem isn't that I can't run my website on 80. Well, it was.
Now, i can run my website on 8081, which is fine with me, but i wanted to know if i could redirect mywebsite.com:8081 to just mywebsite.com, probably using mod_rewrite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody (Jan 09)
You cannot use mod_rewrite to fake the port number.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody (Jan 09)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.