Macbook will no longer pick up wireless signals

Reaction score
For a couple of years I've used a linksys router with my macbook. One day last week, it lost the wireless signal.

I've tried rebooting everything involved (computer, router & cable modem) with no change. I doubt its my internet because 1) my work laptop connects fine and 2) I used to pick up my neighbors signal on the macbook and I no longer see their network.

The airport is definitely on, but it does not see any networks at all.

I plugged in an ethernet cable directly to the router and that allows me to access the internet perfectly fine.

Please help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just so we are clear...what model laptop do you have?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Its a macbook 3.1 (or 3,1 as it seems to say)

And its running 10.5.8, if that makes a difference.

Frank

T

todd51

I'm not sure what 3.1 means. How about the specs of it? Around what time frame did you buy it?

OP
F
Reaction score
The hardware info in the mac shows Macbook3,1. I'm not sure what it means either. I got it late 2007 I think.

Here are the rest of the specs:
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

The airport card info is:
Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x88)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.21)

Reaction score
I don't want to butt in, but this page says that if you have a 13" late 2007 MacBook, you should really pick up this update.

It's dated Aug. 2009, so it's possible you've already got it, if so you can discard my post.
Just don't want anything overlooked.:)

Reaction score
I have the same problem!

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you and it is really getting me down. My Macbook has now come to the end of its warranty period but even then I had the airport card changed twice because it started to lose the signal strength! Now it is doing it again...

My Macbook is running Mac OS X version 10.4.11 and is regularly kept udated.

Any clues as to what I could do to sort this connectivity problem out?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Having the Same Problem

Loobyloz,
I am having the same problem you're having with the same version of OS X. Sometimes the signal is fine, sometimes I have to reboot to get it to pick anything up, and sometimes it just refuses. I can be within 6 feet of my router, and it won't connect to the signal, or I can be in a different room, and it picks it up quickly. Makes no sense! Were you able to solve your problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.