MacBook suddenly acting really slow

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I bought my first MacBook(Black) about a year ago. I was really loving everything, especially it's performance. But about a week ago, it started to act very but very slow. I installed Snow Leopard about a month ago s I don't think that's the problem. I also tried running Tech Tool to see if there was a problem, but after all the scans and tests its still the same. I'm now thinking about getting an antivirus. It lasted about 2-3 to boot some time ago, but now it takes like 10 minutes :S

What do you think can be causing the problem? It is really stresfull how slowly this is hehe. I hope you can help me, thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.26 Ghz 500 GB, iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz 1 TB
I'm noticing the same with my MacBook Pro. Installed Snow Leopard shortly after it came out. Any advice would be great!

Reaction score
This is what I would personally do, and have done today as several of my applications were crashing. Backup all your files (pictures, music, video's etc) using Time Machine, using an external backup drive. Boot from the DVD, (hold down C, when you restart the machine), launch Disk Utility, and then Security Options. Now select Zero Out Data. (This can take up to 1 hour + depending on how big the Internal Drive Is), once thats done, follow the on screen instructions to Install Snow Leopard.

OP
carloscane
Reaction score
This is what I would personally do, and have done today as several of my applications were crashing. Backup all your files (pictures, music, video's etc) using Time Machine, using an external backup drive. Boot from the DVD, (hold down C, when you restart the machine), launch Disk Utility, and then Security Options. Now select Zero Out Data. (This can take up to 1 hour + depending on how big the Internal Drive Is), once thats done, follow the on screen instructions to Install Snow Leopard.

What is that Zero Out Data thing you are talking about? What would that do? Thanks for the advise! :D

Have you guys gotten the 10.6.1 update?

Yes, I've got it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
After installing snow leopard my macbook took a performance hit as well. I am planning on doing a reinstall from a zeroed out drive like suggested above. I just haven't had the time to do so since I've been so busy. If I get the opportunity to do so before you do, I will be more than happy to report back. Shouldn't be more than a few weeks before my schedule clears up enough for me to sit down in front of my computer and go through the time to erase / install / recover from back up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.