problems after Snow Leopard upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.26 Ghz 500 GB, iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz 1 TB
Hi guys & gals..

Need some feedback on some problems that I am recently experiencing after my Snow Leopard upgrade:

1) Every time I open up my iTunes, it asks me to agree to the agreement of use statement that you normally acknowledge when you first install the program - but this is every time I open it up.

2) iPhoto always asks me if I want to use iPhoto as the default importing program every time a camera is attached - every time I click yes, use iPhoto but it continues to come up

3) iDVD does not allow the screen saver to stay on while encoding my movies - I have some large video files that I have edited through iMovie and I'm just encoding them to burn to DVD

4) Sleep/Shutdown - sometimes never takes place. I would put the computer to sleep, walk away and a few minutes later, it is still awake/on.

These problems that I'm having only started after the Snow Leopard upgrade. I have been diligent in installing all the available updates. I don't know if it is a couple of bugs that the new OS has. I'm confident that it will be solved down the road. Just annoying that these things keep happening.

I have tried the cache clearing and the .plist delete for the problem programs with no luck.

Thanks in advance!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you do a clean install of Snow Leopard or did you upgrade over Leopard?

Regards.

OP
monty007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you do a clean install of Snow Leopard or did you upgrade over Leopard?

Regards.

this was an upgrade over Leopard, not a clean install. I did not know that I could have done a clean install. I chose to upgrade so I would not lose any of my programs/documents/data.

Is there a way for me to do a clean install without loosing all my stuff??

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
this was an upgrade over Leopard, not a clean install. I did not know that I could have done a clean install. I chose to upgrade so I would not lose any of my programs/documents/data.

Is there a way for me to do a clean install without loosing all my stuff??

Thanks

Backing up onto an external hard drive....
Then, insert your SL disc, and restart holding the C key when you hear the tone.
After you choose the language and press continue, go to utilities/disk utility in the menu bar.
Choose the HD (second in the left column) and select erase disk which by default will and should be formatted as Macintosh OS extended (journalled).
Once erased, exit disk utilities and continue installation.
Once installation is compete, it will ask you if you want to restore from a time machine backup or using migration assistant later.

OP
monty007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks 6string. I'll give that a try on the weekend to see if it will solve my problems. I will post an update.

OP
monty007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: so last night I did what 6string suggested and did a clean install of Snow Leopard. Problems are still the same and it now seems like none of my preferences want to stick ie: screen saver settings & desktop settings. I have done the previous migration onto the new install. I'm wondering if it could be a virus. I'm running Clamxav and nothing comes up during the scan. Don't know what to do now.

OP
monty007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump for any other suggestions/input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Start up with your install disc holding C, choose language, then from the top menu run utilities/repair disk permissions, and if this doesn't show up with or resolve the issue, I would do a clean install of snow leopard, and before migrating your system back, check to see if these problems are still occurring.
Then you know that that there is something NQR in your backup, and you may want to do an old fashioned manual move of important files, etc .... and reinstall as many apps as possible starting fresh (instead of moving from backup).

OP
monty007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fixed it!!!

I got on the phone with a Senior apple expert and he walked me through it. Booted up the install disk and went into utilities. Selected the password option and at the very bottom there was a reset permissions button. Press that and then rebooted to the Mac HD and voilà - everything worked like a charm and I noticed it was much faster as well.

Thanks to 6string for the help - the clean install did help some. Hope this helps someone else on the forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.