Apple won't cover my cracked screen...There goes another $1259!!!

S

StealthMode

They called me today and told me that they will not cover the laptop because their screens are not designed to crack (no sh*t) and it must have been my fault that it broke. (even though I nor anyone else even touched it in the 10 minute span that the lid was closed when it cracked.) I've only had it for 3 weeks! I also spent $350 on the dam 3 yr. warranty. So now I have to pay $1259 to get a new screen installed.... I'm a college student, I can barely afford the monthly payments on top of everything else, much less ANOTHER screen! I have do all my assignments on that thing, I am pretty much screwed for now..
They are shipping my PowerBook back now. I am so frustrated...

/End rant....

Stealth -

[edit=graphite] Edited for slight profanity [/edit]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Wow, that sucks.. I am very surprised... and kinda disappointed in apple. I can only hope that they will find this as a flaw and in the time to come maybe offer a half off. Else something!

I would suggest buying a stand alone Flat screen, and hooking it up and using that as the monitor. forget the current one.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Take it up to the next level. Speak to one of the support managers. If you brought this new and have Apple Care, they should resolve your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
my dad always told me when i have a problem to go to the store with the broken product and all your paperwork and raise your voice if they dont seem to be helping it just creates a scene and they will want to come out of it as the good guy so they usually comply with your needs. i tried that with a pair of bang & olufsen headphones and it worked they just gave me the brandnew pair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I agree with rman.. if the person you talked to won't help you.. talk to someone else.. if they wont' help you.. talk to someone else.. I keep hearing about the support of Apple and Im getting quite disappointed with ti.. Love their machines, suspicous of their support :( It would have been nice to talk to someone else BEFORE they sent your machine back, but I would still do it.

OP
S

StealthMode

I talked to 2 people, the second person actually helped me send my laptop down. Then today the tech people called me and told me what it was going to take.. I had 2 options, they hold it and fix it for $1259 or send it back to me. Well, I thought sending it back to me would be the best since I can't afford a new screen right now... So they are shipping it back to me, possibly today allready. I am so tourqued! Today has been a real bad day, all my assignments, and all the work I do from school I do on my Mac. If I get a flat panel monitor, (I'd love to get one) that will limit my allready bad portability. For the most part i am screwed..

Stealth -

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If there is an Apple Store in your area, take it in and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I wouldnt settle for that.. I can understand for them it is hard to trust consumers that they are telling the truth, but be persistent

OP
S

StealthMode

About an hour a way more or less. With school I don't have time to go anywhere. Saturday migh tbe a day to go though. Cept I have no money and it is located in The Mall of America, and I wouldn't mind picken a few things up :D Maybe eat at hooters or something. :D

Steath -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
priorities, priorities my brother :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
stealth

hooters and apple what other reasons could you possibly need

OP
F

Fomer

Ouch! I hate that for you stealth, I did a lot of checking around when I bought my mac and I have seen soooo many post about how crappy the support for apple seems to be. Well I went ahead and purchased my powerbook so far no problems... but if something tears up i'd like to believe Apple would fix it for me and not be (fill in word of choice)-heads about it!

As its been said, don't stop till you problem is fixed keep telling them you want to speak to thier supervisor eventually you'll find someone with common-sence enough. :)

OP
S

StealthMode

Yea, there is no way I am going to pay that much money for this ****. Even if I could! This is alot of bull--**** :/ I am still within my 90 days, shouldn't i be able to return my mac because I an not satisfied with it?

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was quite an interesting read! Check to see if your credit card that you purchased it with will replace it! That's what he did.. man that bites :(

OP
S

StealthMode

I bought it with the apple loan (I kind of regret it now, 19% interest)

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ouch :( it sucks being a student without any credit history :( But then it's nice to get the student discounts..

OP
S

StealthMode

Yea, it helped alot. But I'm still $3000 in debt. I don't think I need another $1259 :(

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Eeew :( Try to return it. Poor poor apple.. when did they start to develop poor machines, and such horrid customer service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.