Apple won't cover my cracked screen...There goes another $1259!!!

OP
S

StealthMode

Will they take it back? It's "been damaged". I submitted a complaint to the Better Buisness Bureau today. Hopefully I can get rolling with this.

Stealth -

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
StealthMode said:
Will they take it back? It's "been damaged". I submitted a complaint to the Better Buisness Bureau today. Hopefully I can get rolling with this.

Stealth -

I confused, did you try to have it fixed at the Apple Store. It appears that you jump the gun, by going to the better business bureau, with trying the brick and motar store. You may have played your hand to soon.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I've heard a lot of stories... Apples customer service really sucks. It's gonna be a ***** for you. Good luck tho...
*hugs powerbook*

OP
S

StealthMode

I didn't buy it at the Apple Store, Apple HAD my laptop in their tech lab and examined it. Seems to me like I basically skipped the Apple Store and went directly to where the Apple Store would have sent it. So I think I may have saved some extra time and pointless work. (maybe I'm wrong here :() Well, whats the worse thing that could happen? I don't get my powerbook fixed, or I pay $1259? :|

Stealth -

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe it is a big difference talking to a person face to face, than talking to a faceless person on the phone.

Also it should not matter where you purchase the hardware. You have an Applecare contract. I think the real problem is proving that you did not crack the screen.

OP
S

StealthMode

Well, good news, my dads friend, whose always been a mac guy, talked with his buddies about my PB, and I guess they have, or are the right connections, and they made a fiew calls, and whala, I am getten it fixed! It got shipped off today, the same day I found out, So, now I wait till next week when I will hopefully get it back :) Good news :D

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Awesome! Now if something goes wrong with mine.. please hook me up! :)

OP
S

StealthMode

;) Absolutly :D Can't wait to get it back, you don't realize how much you really like something till it is gone. I never thought I'd miss my PB that much, but dam, the one day I had it back before it got shipped back I was like whoa, :D this is more like it..and now it is gone again. :sad: I got my wireless network up tonight, can't wait to test it out with my PB :D

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
ah gotta love the family connections.....thats why you dont give in just keep finding ways to get what you need

OP
W

walkercart

pixels out purple tint

i have been trying to get my powerbook fixed with apple for the about a week. The issue i'm having is that the topcase has fallen trough in the bottom right corner just from me resting my wrists on it. I've had my pb for a year now and i have the 3 year apple care warranty. My cd-r drive also stopped working and to top it off my screen is scratched and there is a growing purple tint around it. The tint started to grow just a few days after the pixels started to go out. One by one a pixel goes out, the count has gotten to about 12 pixels before i actually took it to get serviced. So i brought my pb to DI-NO computer in pasadena to get serviced. The replied and said that they could only do one major hardware repair a month, something about apple and their service rating. They convinced me to send it apple to get all the issues taken care of. Low and behold i call apple and they say they can only fix the cd-r drive and the the topcase and screen damage was caused by customer abuse. This is total BS. I have gotten three explaination as to why my screen is damaged, all of them being different. I have no idea what to do, Apple has been a real ass about this matter, they have never called me, i keep having to call them. The big question here is why would the authorized service center send the pb to apple if they new it was not going to get fixed, because they also thought that it need to be repaired. I need help, i have filled a claim with the better business bureau. The customer relations guy i talked to would not even speak with me the last time i called, i'm going to give then another call tomorrow. HELP HELP

OP
A

anaon

i was thinking about buying a powerbook, and still to a pointe am, but it's looking a bit grim, all the probs. that ppl are having with theirs, and the arguistness of getting anything repaired from apple, even tho i live like 5mi. from their HQ well i do also know a few people, well 1 or 2 that work for apple and i could probly get a few "hookups" thru them i suppose. but mostly i'm just sik of PCs and the krap they have go wrong, not saying that apple is perfect, but it seems like ppl have a lot less go wrong with them than a PC, but it sux that you had to go thru all that just to get it fixed, and that they claimed that you broke your computer, well yeh, you broke it ( it didn't crak its self) but it was poor manufacturing that caused the break, so yeh it was their fault, something that slight should never have caused a screen that is so expensive to just break. (i'm a student too) so i feel your financial and withdrawal pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
anaon you have to realize that the amount of people who have these problems is much less then it seems. It just so happens the people who have the problems are the ones who voice their opinions louder then others which just stands out. if there was a thread for every user who was satisfied with their apple the message board servers would be overloaded.

OP
J

jerodhusvar

StealthMode said:
Whoa, I guess I am not alone, check this link out!
http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2003/04/20030416142137.shtml

Stealth -
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Raise your voice until you get the problem resolved. I've never had a problem with Apple fixing things before, but I have heard of other people having problems.

If going to the store doesn't work, use www.planetfeedback.com to file a complaint against them. Make your letter public so other people can see your problem. I have had a LOT of issues resolved because of using planetfeedback.

Don't give up, riase enough **** and maybe they'll actually fix it for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.