• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is iMovie '09 with Snow Leopard much better?

Reaction score
Hi. . . I'm working with a MacBook Pro Version 10.4.11

My version of iMovie HD is 6.0.3

If my budget were unlimited I'd jump into the new computer which includes the iMovie 09 including Snow Leopard.

But, unless the benefits are significant, I'll stay with my version. HOWEVER. . .I'm having trouble with transactions that create black spots between photos (question posted elsewhere on this Forum). Otherwise, I'm pleased with my iMovie program that I started using this month.

I'm creating movies using original photographs (high resolution) and using original music recorded on AIFF files.

I'd like to hear from people using this new program. Is it faster, easier? I guess more memory is a big help. Is the quality more professional if say -- i put together a product to sell in future? Thanks for your thoughts. Joanna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your Macbook Pro is fine for Snow Leopard, so with a limited budget, you could buy the new 'Mac Box Set' that contains Snow Leopard, iLife 09, iWork.

From another post you described having iMovie 08. iMovie 09 has some new features, but they might not add enough value for you. Buying iLife by it self isn't an option for you because it requires Leopard OS X 10.5.6. The box set would make the most sense here.

Some people who came from iMovie HD hate the newer versions of iMovie. Mostly it seems to be a workflow thing. The one advantage the older iMHD has is that their are third party add-on effects available from companies like GeeThree.

As far as one being faster than the other, I think that comes down to your abilities for some things. The new iMovies allow you to scrub through your assets very quickly to find what you are looking for. To do that, it creates thumbnail movies which can be scanned extremely fast. The thing is, your current projects are picture based, so I can't see a big advantage here.

For working with pictures there are a couple of third party tools. See my response in this other thread where I list the ones I'm aware of. The list is under the heading "Pictures to Video".

If your machine has 2GB, you are probably fine, although 4GB may give your software some space it can happily use.

What kind of product are you considering putting together. A DVD? That is out of my realm, but I would think you'd have to get them professionally pressed so that you can be sure they would work on all players. Self made DVDs have problems with some/many players that can't focus properly. My old one from 98 has this problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.