Looping Finder Crash

S

simbey1982

Have a machine here i am a bit puzzled with. When i boot finder will crash, launch, crash, launch.....so i did an archive and install reload...that kind of worked, it now loads the dock and any programs i want but the finder still does a looping crash...got rid of what startup items i could, I have now made a new user account when i log on to it, it works fine no crashing....perfect....any ideas why the other account is crashing?

Cory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Why don't you just do a Clean Install?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
You should look in the "Startup Items" in the System Prefs., in Accounts and get rid of just about everything. Maybe an app is messing something up.

EDIT: Oh, and quit of everything, including everything in the "Menu Bar". And in the Activity Monitor, start end some proccesses, if none of the stuff above works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook osx tiger
Have a machine here i am a bit puzzled with. When i boot finder will crash, launch, crash, launch.....so i did an archive and install reload...that kind of worked, it now loads the dock and any programs i want but the finder still does a looping crash...got rid of what startup items i could, I have now made a new user account when i log on to it, it works fine no crashing....perfect....any ideas why the other account is crashing?

Cory

i have the same problem
the only thing is, i have tried going into the system preferences to create a new account, but it always says it quit unexpectedly, so i never get the chance

have u found out what causes this?

apparently if u take out the battery and put it back in, it solves it, but i dont want to risk losing my stuff

i cannot even transfer my items to my external hard drive as it refreshes too often

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook osx tiger
You should look in the "Startup Items" in the System Prefs., in Accounts and get rid of just about everything. Maybe an app is messing something up.

EDIT: Oh, and quit of everything, including everything in the "Menu Bar". And in the Activity Monitor, start end some proccesses, if none of the stuff above works.

what if you can't do any of that quick enough, as it refreshes too often?

Reaction score
Finder Crashing

Im having the same problem here with the finder crashing and Looping
I can sometimes run other programs. but the quit after a few minutes as well
Now here the real kicker, I don't have my installation disk. Am I screwed or should I can I up grade to leopard.( I have tiger now ) I only have 512 of RAM ( It a 5 year old machine ) so if i was to up grade it would really slow it down. I not even sure if I can still buy more ram.

UPdate, I was able to create a new user and log. and finder does not crash but when I go back to the other user account it crashes again
I think I need to find a tiger disk and reload it.

Reaction score
i have seen this at my job. it ended up the accounts in question had folders/files on the desktop with that the font somehow got corrupted and the files/folders were just named with strange characters. I had to go to the user that worked and enable the root user. Then i had to log in as root and go to the problem user's home folder and move all the contents in their desktop folder to a different location, or delete everything in the desktop folder if there is nothing you are worried about using on your desktop.
I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Powerbook 10.4.11
i found a really simple solution. i upgraded my quicktime and it bundled in a program that was constantly trying to "unstuff" file names.

the easy solution was to go into system preferences: other: stuffit avr
and stop the avr.

it solved all my problems and finder hasn't crashed since.
hope that helps! or is still helpful to some...

Reaction score
Crashing Finder

i found a really simple solution. i upgraded my quicktime and it bundled in a program that was constantly trying to "unstuff" file names.

the easy solution was to go into system preferences: other: stuffit avr
and stop the avr.

it solved all my problems and finder hasn't crashed since.
hope that helps! or is still helpful to some...

Wow, that worked for me, apparently. I was really perplexed. Thanks so much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.