Software Updater Tool Not Working

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, the software update tool doesn't work. By not working, I mean I can launch it and it does indeed check for new software, but it always says my software is all up to date.

However, other programs are telling me new updates are available. For instance, iTunes and Pages have both told me new versions are available, click to update. I click, and that launches the software update tool, which checks and then tells me everything is up-to-date.

How can I fix this?

OP
T
Reaction score
I can't believe the software updater tool has never failed on anyone else.

.bump

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Dont know what your problem is but when itunes and pages launches, get the update number and go straight to the Apple site Downloads and download them straight from there....

Very weird though your updater not working.

Tried reboot and then updater ??
Sorry no solution here

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, very strange. I can download updates manually, but how will I know what and when system updates are available? I would like to get this fixed. Maybe call Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
User Library > Preferences > com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist > drag .plist to desktop and try SU again and it will make a new plist. If all OK trash the one on the desktop.
S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Software Update > Reset ignored updates maybe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Software Update > Reset ignored updates maybe?

How would one go about doing that? ....well, glad that you asked hehe... ok....
click on software update in the menu bar when you run software update, and you will see it there :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Tried removing .plist and the system did create another one but the result was the same...all your software is up-to-date...

In the system preferences folder>software update preferences it shows the last software installed was in early september.

Can't reset 'ignored' updates because after updater runs it tells me all software is up-to-date and only gives me the option to quit.

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Tried removing .plist and the system did create another one but the result was the same...all your software is up-to-date...

In the system preferences folder>software update preferences it shows the last software installed was in early september.

Can't reset 'ignored' updates because after updater runs it tells me all software is up-to-date and only gives me the option to quit.

Help!

Whilhttp://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/05/ignore-software-updates-view-previously-installed-updates/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, the software update tool doesn't work. By not working, I mean I can launch it and it does indeed check for new software, but it always says my software is all up to date.

However, other programs are telling me new updates are available. For instance, iTunes and Pages have both told me new versions are available, click to update. I click, and that launches the software update tool, which checks and then tells me everything is up-to-date.

How can I fix this?

Out of curiosity, you say that itunes and pages have both told you that newer versions were available, but were they?
Did you find later versions and download them?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1569

OP
T
Reaction score
Well I can't reset ignored updates because that option is grayed out. Not that I ever ignored any updates anyway.

Right now iTunes is at 9.0; I believe current is 9.2? So newer versions are available, same for iWork 09, I can download manually from apple.com, just haven't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, itunes is on 9.0.2, and iwork is on it's 3rd update.
I'd start by manually downloading them, or at least the 2updates in order for itunes, and same for iwork, and then maybe installing appfresh just to keep yourself upto date until you can resolve this.
I'm wondering if your receipts are intact in the HD library, which I believe software update uses to work out what apps you have that need to be updated!
If so, I would certainly be contacting apple.

Another thought that I just had, if you have time, is that you could check by backing up your system, and doing a clean install. Then you can see if software update is working.... knowing that after a clean install, it always shows up with newer software. At least then if it does work, you know that there is something corrupted in you backup.
If for instance, itunes updates to the latest version, you know that you're on the right track.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.