Problems with Pages...

Reaction score
Hey, was wondering if somebody could help me out, very weird problem with Pages on my mac; every time I try to open a pages file text edit opens up and tries to read the file and then fails, giving me an error message. The pages files open fine if I 'open with...' pages but every time I try to change the default app to open .pages files it automatically switches back to text edit. Extremely annoying, as you can imagine.
Anybody got any ideas? Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
It sounds to me as if the "Pages" files you are trying to open are actually text files. Look at the extended filenames and see the file extensions. If they are truly Pages files, the extensions will be ".pages". If the extensions are ".txt" or ".rtf" or ".rtfd" they are text files. TextEdit is most likely set as the default app for all your text files. If the files in question are ".pages" files, then go to Get Info on one of them, select Open with, choose Pages, and then be sure to click the Change All button. That will reset the default app to Pages.

The "Change All" button is how you reset the default app for opening any particular type (file extension) of file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.