Cant download Safari 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hi all

Well I have just purchased my first Apple its a 13" Mac Book Pro, I am trying to upgrade Safari to version 4 but when I try to install after it has been downloaded it comes up please exit Safari and then press OK, but even when I exit Safari before installation the message still comes up, I have even tried to use Firefox but it still comes up about exiting Safari.
I am using the download off the official Apple site

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Have you quit safari, or just closed the window by clicking the red dot in the top left corner of the window?

If so, go to dock, and right click (control click) on safari, and choose quit!

OP
Bucks
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried both but it comes up the same even when im not using Safari and the only way I can get rid of it is to press the off button for a few seconds I cant even shut down normally.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with 6String, OSX applications work differently than in Windows and even if you close the window, most stay running. Right Click on the Safari icon in the Dock and choose Quit. Let us know if you then can install Safari 4.

What version of OSX is on that new 13" MBP? Safari 4 should already be installed if the MBP is brand new.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the EXACT message you are receiving when you try to install Safari 4? It should already be installed if it's a new MBP like I said above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Question, you just purchased your first MBP, and it didn't come with safari 4..... so, a little info if you could?
I'm guessing it's second hand... so, if you click on apple, about this mac, you will see the version of OS X.
Any more info that you can give will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry dtravis7 ...your posts showed up after I clicked post quick reply :/

OP
Bucks
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help guys but I have fixed it, I noticed when i clicked the apple icon on the top left hand side there is a button called software update, I did say I was new to Apples :D

Anyway this upgraded all my software including Safari.
I did buy the MBP new and it had safari version 3. something . cant remember.

Thanks

Bucks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear you got it sorted....

The thing is with updating software on mac, you need to install all versions leading upto, for instance, if you are using OS X 10.5.6, you need to download 10.5.7 before proceeding to 10.5.8.
also, on the apple site, if you click the MAC tab, and scroll down, you will see "learn your way around macs in minutes"
I recommend going through that as well as taking the time to go through system preferences (click apple and scroll down) to get to know your way around there, as well as finder preferences.
There are no silly questions either (ok, maybe some), so don't be shy about asking, or searching the forums for answers to any questions that you may have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, you will also see in certain applications in the help menu that there are tutorials, as well as there being many on you tube, etc.
The main thing that I highly recommend (insist), not only to a new mac user, but even to the most advanced, is to get an external Hard Drive or 2, so that you can keep regular backups, and perhaps have a spare drive to use as a bootable backup as an extra precaution.
I take a bit of a chance by having a backup that I have partitioned into 3partitions ....time machine backups, bootable backup, and a bootable copy of my install disc in case I loose or damage mine.
Ideally I would have three external drives if finances allowed, however... As it stands, I know that if my internal hard drive is corrupted or fails, that I have things covered.
You will notice that there are many people that have run into major problems by not having their systems backed up on these forums.

OP
Bucks
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tips 6string :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.