Anybody Familiar With Portable Recording?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I'm looking for a studio-style portable recorder for my guitar station, because transferring my guitar gear across the room to my MacBook and hooking everything back up over and over again is getting really tedious and a hassle. I'm also looking for something under $500. Must be capable of having at least 4 tracks and EQ settings, as well as MIDI ports. There does not have to be effects, I have a Zoom G1X for that (which is amazing I might add). I have been looking at this so far:

MOMEMAIL.jpg

If there is anything better than this out there, point me to it. I'm looking for quality gear, and easy to use. Thanks in advance for all help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Pick the MB up and move it across the room? You'll not have as good of control with any portable recorder vs. an A/D input and sequencing software.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Pick the MB up and move it across the room? You'll not have as good of control with any portable recorder vs. an A/D input and sequencing software.

I'll take that into consideration, I was actually thinking about relocating my desk. Like to change the perspective sometimes :) Any way, thanks for the input. I may just stick to GarageBand, but I was also thinking about getting Logic Pro. do you know of any similar software that you would recommend (if different from Logic Pro or GB)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I've only used Cubase and Logic for recording. Logic is my pick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
Try Reaper. It's a fully functional DAW, don't be put off by the (low) price thinking it's not as good as the others! Back when I was on windows I used it in Version 2. Though now use Logic and Pro Tools. There's nothing I can do in LP8/PT that one can't do Reaper. The interface isn't as slick as the others, but that's a minor detail!

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try Reaper. It's a fully functional DAW, don't be put off by the (low) price thinking it's not as good as the others! Back when I was on windows I used it in Version 2. Though now use Logic and Pro Tools. There's nothing I can do in LP8/PT that one can't do Reaper. The interface isn't as slick as the others, but that's a minor detail!

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.