• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

slow conversions from Elgato to imovie to toast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 15" 2.4, 4 gig ram, 200gig hd
Please help! What can I do to speed up the process of copying shows? I have a Macbook Pro, with a 2.4 Ghz core 2 duo processor. I just purchased the elgato video capture kit to record some train shows off of my DVR for my son. I record them in realtime, and hit the key to export them to imovie. I use imovie to edit out the commercials, then export them to Toast, where I burn them to a DVD. My problem is the time involved. Elgato takes 10 -15 minutes to export a 1 hour show. I movie takes 10 minutes to import it, and 25 or more to export the 42 minute program after edits. Toast takes a long time to import it before burning at average quality.
I recently upgraded my macbook to snow leopard and iwork/ilife 09. Last christmas I bumped up to 4 gig of ram. (both before starting this project) I use Istat on my dashboard and it shows almost 90% processor use while doing this. Is there a setting I can change that will still result in a product which can be viewed on a decent sized tv? I don't need HD or near HD quality, just smoothness.
Any help is appreciated.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't believe that I have stumped the forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your question doesn't make much sense. You are converting the output from iMovie to be eventually placed onto a DVD. If you reduce the quality it will look worse on most any TV. All of the times are realistic. Your work flow sounds fine.

If you really want to muck around, then the only place I can see it is in the iMovie export quality by altering the video data via the QuickTime export option. Toast likely also has some settings for making the DVD files. Again, doing that will reduce quality. The question is, does it matter that much. Only you can tell since it takes a look to see the results. In the end, you likely won't save too much time.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's really all I was looking for - was I missing some obvious step. Sounds like I wasn't, so thanks for the answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.