Rastertoescpll failed message for Epson after installing Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo/Snow Leopard
After I installed Snow Leopard, I went to Epson and downloaded the new drivers for both my Epsons. My RX595 works perfectly, but everytime I try to print with my R260, I get this error: Error:/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Filter/rastertoescpll.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescpll failed. I've tried reinstalling the new drivers and also tried unplugging printer, rebooting computer, then plugging printer back in....all to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem? I would appreciate any advice you could provide. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Based, Macbook Pro 17 and iMac G5
I just fixed a problem with the same error on an Epson 1400 attached to a Mac Tower Pro. I essentially had to clean install the printer driver and remove 2 printing prefs. I'm doing this from memory and don't have a Mac in front of me, so bare with me:
1. I went to system preferences/Printers and removed the printer by highlighting and selecting the "-" button.
2. Then I went into the HD system folder/users/ library/printers (I don't recall the exact path) and searched out a couple of printer prefs; one was called printer pref.plist and another file "...printer cache (sp?)" to the desktop. I held on to them in case I made a bad choice of removing files. I'd trash them after I knew it was working again.
3. I downloaded the latest driver from Epson. Note: DO NOT USE THE CD that came with the printer if it was obtained before Snow Leopard came out. Download the latest driver from EPSON.
4. Reinstall the downloaded EPSON driver.
5. Check the printer prefs to ensure it's the default printer and the queue is clear and the printer utility monitoring is talking to the printer.
6. Send a test print from email, web page, Adobe product.
7. I went on to regression test a few other peripherals that were attached to the tower, like an Epson Scanner, before I called it a success.
8. I trashed those two pref files that I pulled from the library.
9. Life is printing good again for my client.
Disclaimer: I'm no longer a professional computer technician and haven't been since OS 9 was mainstream, I just help where I can. You remove any of your system files I may have mentioned at your own risk.

Reaction score
Wow, you have your own disclaimer, I doubt he's gonna come after you tadfos...;D
All help is greatly appreciated here...Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
It worked!

I just wanted to let "tadfos" know that his directions worked perfectly! Very much appreciated. My Epson Workforce 500 all-in-one is totally in sync with my Mac/Snow Leopard now.
Thanks a ton!!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two MacBook Pro 17" and One iMac 21"
Worked for me too. The one anomoly I noticed is I could previously see the ink levels on my Epson 2200 Photo Stylus and now I cannot. But I can print!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" & Macbook Pro 14"
Thanks from me also to Tadfos - I also had a problem with Rastertoescpll after using installing / using snowleopard 10.6.2. I downloaded new printer driver, detached the printer and reinstalled with new S/W and it works perfectly. Thanks again - great forum!

Reaction score
Hi, I had the same thing and contacted Epson, below their support, which I followed. Step 7, I did not understand, but in the printer window (where you get those errors) select printer set up / driver / print using.... Here you can select epson stylus photo rx700 - gutenprint v5.2.3. With the gutenprint v5.2.3 it works for me!

epson support

I do apologize if you are unable to print with your Snow Leopard operating system. The issue is possibly due to an incorrect driver being used by the computer. Please follow the instructions below to re-add the correct driver.

Re-add print queue

1 Turn off the printer.
2 Delete the print queue and remove the printer from Print & Fax by clicking on the minus (-) button under the list of printers. Click OK to confirm the removal.
3 Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of Finder and open System Preferences.
4 In the System Preferences window, click on Print & Fax.
Note: Do step number 5 only if this is the only printer currently installed in this computer.
5 Press the CTRL button on the keyboard and click on the white box on the left (where the printers should be listed) and click on RESET Printing System.
6 Turn on the printer. Click the (+) button to enter the Printer Browser window. The system should automatically detect the printer. Click the Add button.
7 If the printer driver for your model is included in Snow Leopard (not downloaded from the Epson website) and the system does not add the printer or if it adds it using the Gutenprint driver, contact Apple for assistance. You may need to reinstall the Epson drivers provided with Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro OS X 10.6.2
I also had this prob on a IMAC desktop, OS X 10.6.2 and
loading drivers for an Epson Stylus Photo R320.

Would not print, cudn't see ink levels, cudn't do custom settings,
Got rastertoes msg after attempted installation, multiple times.

After downloading and installing 7 different versions of printer drivers from
the Epson Website, and spending 3 hours with level 2 tech aide at Epson
i finally found the solution.

Finally went to Apple and downloaded,installed Apple version printer/drivers specifically for Epson printers. Printer works fine now, prints photos fine,
customizes fine and checking ink levels fine.

Since Apple Sno Leopard S/W caused prob, makes sense to use apple supplied drivers to fix it.

Reaction score
This procedure worked for me, but only for a short time. The problem returned, and could not be corrected. But then I noticed that it only applied to printing out of Lightroom.
I tried all sorts of modifications to the procedure, to no avail. I started up another user account, and things worked fine on that. Then I went back to my usual account..... AND EVERYTHING WS WORKING!

I have no explanation and no confidence that it won't happen again, and no confidence that this work-around is permanent.

I'd like to hear from the others above, if their fix is permanent, or not.

Reaction score
thank you so much!!!

Hi, I had the same thing and contacted Epson, below their support, which I followed. Step 7, I did not understand, but in the printer window (where you get those errors) select printer set up / driver / print using.... Here you can select epson stylus photo rx700 - gutenprint v5.2.3. With the gutenprint v5.2.3 it works for me!

epson support

I do apologize if you are unable to print with your Snow Leopard operating system. The issue is possibly due to an incorrect driver being used by the computer. Please follow the instructions below to re-add the correct driver.

Re-add print queue

1 Turn off the printer.
2 Delete the print queue and remove the printer from Print & Fax by clicking on the minus (-) button under the list of printers. Click OK to confirm the removal.
3 Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of Finder and open System Preferences.
4 In the System Preferences window, click on Print & Fax.
Note: Do step number 5 only if this is the only printer currently installed in this computer.
5 Press the CTRL button on the keyboard and click on the white box on the left (where the printers should be listed) and click on RESET Printing System.
6 Turn on the printer. Click the (+) button to enter the Printer Browser window. The system should automatically detect the printer. Click the Add button.
7 If the printer driver for your model is included in Snow Leopard (not downloaded from the Epson website) and the system does not add the printer or if it adds it using the Gutenprint driver, contact Apple for assistance. You may need to reinstall the Epson drivers provided with Snow Leopard.

it works perfect for me! Now I am printing fine.
I worked on this problem for about 3-4 hours this afternoon and was very depressed even angry, but your method just solved this in a flash!!!
Thank you again!!!

Reaction score
Oh my ****ing god. I can't believe this actually fixed it. I have been two and a half weeks trying every possible troubleshoot and article I could find on the various issues trying to bring this piece of crap back to life. Thank you so so much for posting the solution tadfos. You just saved my printer for meeting a grueling death on the pavement outside my bedroom window. It was either going to be fixed or meet a violent end at my hands. Seriously though, thank you so much. I would buy you a pint if I could.

Cheers.

Mark & his Epson p50.

Reaction score
Thanks Tadfor

Like others I have searched the great dessert of the internet to no avail and much frustration, despairing really. Thank goodness for people like you who will share their knowledge. I haven't tried printing from all applications but before there was no communications between computer and printer. Now it at least prints a test pattern. So relieved to see that power button blinking.
Thank you.

Reaction score
I printed from mac to epson t50 using LAN. Printer installed on windows 7.

I have fix this error (rastertoescpll failed), just rename directory /library/users/printers/epson
And next step - make update your system.

Your mac download new driver's for you epson printer =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13
TADFOS, Thank you very much! Your directions worked like a charm.

The only thing I might add is that my Macbook Pro is a late 2009, which already had Snow Leopard in it, and my Epson Artisan 730 was working just fine until today, when I got the mysterious note in my printing cue about "rastertoescpll".

And for those who might not know exactly where to look, for my computer, the files were deleted from the following (first open Finder, then ...):
MacintoshHD/System/Library/Printers/Libraries/PrintJobMgr/Contents/

The names of the two files I deleted were:
1) version.plist
2) info.plist

I still have these two files on my desktop though, as once I looked back in that "Contents" folder, the deleted files had not been replaced with new ones, so I'm not sure if I should put the old ones back or not. I guess if it works, don't mess with it, right? It's late and I can't bother with it right now. All I know is that stuff is printing now whereas before I read your article, they (strangely and suddenly) were not.

Thanks again.
~Shawn

Reaction score
Solution

After I installed Snow Leopard, I went to Epson and downloaded the new drivers for both my Epsons. My RX595 works perfectly, but everytime I try to print with my R260, I get this error: Error:/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Filter/rastertoescpll.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescpll failed. I've tried reinstalling the new drivers and also tried unplugging printer, rebooting computer, then plugging printer back in....all to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem? I would appreciate any advice you could provide. Thank you.

The following solution worked for me after trying everything else online.

1. Remove the problem printer
2. Uninstall Epson drivers, to do this use the software found on the epson website, this takes a while.
3. Reboot.
4. Run your disk Utility program found under Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility
5. Select the main HD, click "repair disk permissions" - Let this run until complete
6. Install the latest drivers for your printer from the Epson website.
7. Job done :)

Let me know how you get on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Four years on do not know if tadfos is with us anymore.

Reaction score
Jeannie Long your article helped.

Thank you for posting this link: Session Timeout . It solved my printer problem, however I would like for the community to know that this article suggests doing it the hard way first. The first link is to the Epson Knowledge Base that explains how to uninstall the driver, etc. Then below this link it says if that doesn't work try this...and then it goes on to explain how to go into the printer preferences and check to see if the "computer name" box is blank. A blank box can sometimes cause this error to appear. I tried checking that FIRST and sure enough that was the problem. Why on earth would they suggest doing the more complicated troubleshooting first?!? Who has time for that?

Just an FYI....

Reaction score
Problem solved...

Thanks for the link as well - I'm glad I could solve the problem without deleting any printer files. Now printing again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.