keeping it plugged in at all/most times

charging it fully, un plugging it and using it down to near dead, charging, etc

Or anything else you guys can think of

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
That doesn't exactly answer my question but there was plenty of good information so thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think what Eric was trying to tell you subtlety is that this topic has been broached quite a few times.

Generally speaking, keeping deep discharges to a minimum will yield better overall longevity. But since batteries are consumables and lose capacity over time, don't sweat it too much and just use the machine the way you want to. In my experience with the hundreds of laptops I support, the average battery lasts about 3 years under normal use.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
So in other words, keeping it plugged in at all times is ideal?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, just avoid constant deep discharges (i.e. running the battery down all the way on a regular basis). Apple recommends a full discharge once a month to "calibrate" the battery, but I wouldn't do it daily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
No, just avoid constant deep discharges (i.e. running the battery down all the way on a regular basis). Apple recommends a full discharge once a month to "calibrate" the battery, but I wouldn't do it daily.

So were looking at 30-40% for recharging for everyday use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
My notebook is plugged in all the time when it is on or in sleep mode. The only time I unplug it is once a month to drain the battery like Apple suggests.

A quick search of the message boards will provide you with multiple discussions on this topic and how other users use their battery.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So were looking at 30-40% for recharging for everyday use?

Something like that. Batteries really aren't an exact science though. I've seen well treated batteries last a year. I've seen poorly treated batteries last 6 years. My advice would be to use your laptop however you need to and don't sweat the battery too much. Apple claims it lasts 5 years and 1000 cycles, which is way over and beyond a typical notebook battery. You should be good to go for quite some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Apple doesn't state to do a discharge "once" a month, they say to do it "at least" once a month. I have been charging my mbp to full, then running off battery till it turned off, then plugging it back in. This is the only way I have charged my mbp's battery since the first day I got it...with the exception of an accidental overnight charge...
My mbp is running past 7 months old and my battery is at 99% health. Coincidence, I don't think so... I haven't had experience with laptop lithium polymer batteries, but have had with smaller items, but unlike those 2 cell packs that I had, the macbooks know how to safely discharge the battery. When I had 2-4 cell li-po batteries, I would have to check the charge with a meter so it would not destroy itself on charging/discharging. My experience with the mbp's li-po battery have been amazing so far!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple doesn't state to do a discharge "once" a month, they say to do it "at least" once a month. I have been charging my mbp to full, then running off battery till it turned off, then plugging it back in. This is the only way I have charged my mbp's battery since the first day I got it...with the exception of an accidental overnight charge...
My mbp is running past 7 months old and my battery is at 99% health. Coincidence, I don't think so... I haven't had experience with laptop lithium polymer batteries, but have had with smaller items, but unlike those 2 cell packs that I had, the macbooks know how to safely discharge the battery. When I had 2-4 cell li-po batteries, I would have to check the charge with a meter so it would not destroy itself on charging/discharging. My experience with the mbp's li-po battery have been amazing so far!

You're right, I hadn't noticed their wording.

So, you say that since you first got your machine, you have deep discharged it every time and then fully recharged it, only to again deep discharge it once the charge cycle has completed?

With stats like that, you might be onto something - at least with the Lithium Polymer batteries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You're right, I hadn't noticed their wording.

So, you say that since you first got your machine, you have deep discharged it every time and then fully recharged it, only to again deep discharge it once the charge cycle has completed?

With stats like that, you might be onto something - at least with the Lithium Polymer batteries.

Yep! Only one time have I accidentally left the charge adapter plugged in...got too tired with homework one night, and fell asleep... I posted a thread with the istats of my battery on the notebooks...I think it's awesome!

I'm just surprised that there is no known "perfect" method for optimizing battery life...it seems like just guesses and experimenting works the best so far.

I know for sure the charging methods vary for li-po/li-ion and ni-mh batteries, but I can't say anything about the other macs because I haven't owned them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.