Tap to click - Yay or Nay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Tap to click... do you love it, hate it, never heard of it?

Personally, I love tap to click, especially with my huge multitouch track pad... clicking is so clunky and noisy. Why click when you can tap with one or two fingers, and then gesture for any number of other options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
HECK YEA!

but only on the macbook... I hate it on my thinkpad... the pads too small

F

fade

I wouldn't go so far as "I love it"

I do use tap to click because i find it annoying listening to the click when I'm in the library. Not to mention it translates really loudly thru video chat. Drives the wife nuts when I'm out of town.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Less stress on the fingers. I'm all for it. I don't think I could live without it. That's if I'm not using my Tablet to surf the web. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
6 of one half of the other ..... Really depends on what im doing ... Surfing No ... In something like PS yes ....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I didn't like it.

You know the story.

Old dog, new tricks. I might have to give it another shot though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I love tap to click. Very rarely will I press the button. My girlfriend, on the other hand, presses the button on her 13" Macbook Pro. Took me forever to get her to tap to click.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nope, just tried it again for the last 20 minutes.

Kept right clicking by accident, changing pages because it clicked on something when I just set my finger(s) on the trackpad.

I'll have to keep my clicker.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, it takes some getting used to, for you especially to unlearn old habits. But in my opinion, it's definitely more effective, especially with the huge new track pads. Way more ease of use, less stress on the hands and stuff... I dunno, obviously it's up to the end user. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
just habit to tap click now ... and with windows (yikes did he say the dreaded M$ word) running all the time side by side with OS X ... got to have right click 2 finger tap .. love 2 finger scroll as well... better than any other pad where you have to scroll on the side of the pad...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum unibody macbook
no joke, i would never buy a laptop that cant tap to click. especially with the size of trackpads on macs i dont know why you wouldnt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
I just switched to it. I am a new mac user and better get on the tap to click band wagon before I learn the ways without it. Plus I like when someone said the click is loud when in a quiet space. good point. I will learn to love it. I mean it has the technology there to do it why not!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Nope, just tried it again for the last 20 minutes.

Kept right clicking by accident, changing pages because it clicked on something when I just set my finger(s) on the trackpad.

I'll have to keep my clicker.
I hated it for the same reasons till I started playing with gestures... totally hooked now. Took a bit of playing with it to make it completely second nature though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I chose "no, but I do not fid it annoying. I just don't use it. I have a mouse anyway ;)

(actually, getting the Magic Mouse may be considered 'tap-to-click' lol)

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just switched to it. I am a new mac user and better get on the tap to click band wagon before I learn the ways without it. Plus I like when someone said the click is loud when in a quiet space. good point. I will learn to love it. I mean it has the technology there to do it why not!

I'm glad that this thread turned you on to it. It's a shame to not use it, especially with the new huge trackpads. I've got pretty much the same machine you have, except they didn't designate mine a "pro" line, despite the same aluminum unibody design. I don't think I could live without tap to click on this baby. While you're in there, make sure you enable 2 finger "secondary tap." 2 finger scrolling is a must, and the others are nice too, but not as necessary. Either way, I say make use of what's there. It doesn't take long to pick up the habitual motions either.

I'm interested. Post back in a day or 2 (or even now, but also in a day or two) with any of your reactions. :)

PS - one thing I notice with my fiancee when she's using this, although she has gotten better... she likes to really beat the crap out of the trackpad when she's tapping. You don't need to. A soft but firmly planted (as in you can feel the pad of your finger squish a little bit) will do the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.