*** is goin on?!

Reaction score
Excuse my abbreviated french, but *** is going on with my OS X? I installed UnRAR - all was fine, then I looked at my Applications folder icon, and it changed to the UnRAR icon.

Later, I installed something else - I open up the Finder and find now my network icon has changed to the package icon!

I took a screen shot of the Finder and uploaded it here:
***note: you may have to copy the URL and paste it in address bar to work (server doesnt support remote linking***
http://thendis.freewebspace.com/***.jpg

This doesn't affect OS X in any way except for the icons being different - but it's buggin' the crap outta me!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Restarting the computer might be an easy option, but I'm not sure, if this just happened for you just now, or has this been happening for awhile.

OP
T
Reaction score
yea restarting does work, but this is a reucurring problem. Happened almost every time i booted OS X a while ago, but I just put it down to my HDD being clogged with crap. So I formatted the drive and re0installed OS X. Been fine for a couple months but now it's back.

Oh, using v10.3.8 btw on iMac G5. I can't remember, but I think the last time it happened was on my eMac (before I got the iMac).

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm think that it's some sort of app that's messing something up, because that would explain why the problem is carrying over to the other installation. I'm sure you have tried this by now, but you might want to periodically verify/repair permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.