Best Audio Interface for MBP?

Reaction score
I want to use an audio interface (audio module) connected to my MBP to play VST Software (ie Superior Drummer 2.0, BFD2, OWD, Addictive Drums, EZ Drummer ect) using my Roland V-Drums TD-12 as the trigger device.

Anybody using a sub $500 external sound module connected to their MBP that they can recommend to me?

Also, what method are you using (is fastest) to connect it to the MBP to keep latency low, Firewire 800, USB 2.0 or an ExpressCard/34 solution? Thanks

Codeseven

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I've been using M-Audio's Firewire Audiophile for the past 3 years. It's small with very low latency at a very low price.
I use it primarily for DJing but have my audio hardware gear MIDI'd into it.
If I had the money (a manly way of saying "if my wife would let me" :D) to purchase another Firewire audio interface, I would get the Apogee Ensamble. It's made for Mac!

IMHO the main item your shoud be looking for is the quality of the digital audio converters (DACs) that are since this determines how good the interface is.

Here is a great site to read up on audio interfaces...
www.tweakheadz.com
http://www.musictechmag.co.uk

Reaction score
I use a PreSonus Audiobox USB for my windows pc, and it works fine. Core audio though is better than the realtek rubbish, which is one reason I bought the presonus box, and if I had to go with one for this Mac; I would say a good one would be the m-audio firewire one. Only reason why I wouldn't go with PreSonus again is simply because they're not very quick on releasing drivers for new OSs like 10.6 and Windows 7.

There are a lot of really good interfaces for under $500 that would put out phenomenal sound and won't crash. I paid $150 for mine, and there are a few bugs that I don't like, but for the price it's what I could get.

The apogee one that I saw at Guitar Center (probably the same one has Juke179r is talking about) is a really wicked one. If you're really serious about audio, spend as much as you can afford on the interface. The more you spend the better the equipment (preamp, amp, less drop outs) you'll get and the better total experience.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

The Apogee Duet is definitely are great one for Mac' as are the MOTU's from what I've read. Both are relatively expensive ($500 and up), a bit more that I was hoping to spend. Two I've been looking at are the Presonus Firebox and the Focusrite Saffire. I know that driver support is critical. I have read that both M-Audio and Presonus may be lacking in that area.

Reaction score
I want to use an audio interface (audio module) connected to my MBP to play VST Software (ie Superior Drummer 2.0, BFD2, OWD, Addictive Drums, EZ Drummer ect) using my Roland V-Drums TD-12 as the trigger device.

Anybody using a sub $500 external sound module connected to their MBP that they can recommend to me?

Also, what method are you using (is fastest) to connect it to the MBP to keep latency low, Firewire 800, USB 2.0 or an ExpressCard/34 solution? Thanks

Codeseven

I personally use RME hardware. I run a Fireface 400 from my Unibody MBP. Brilliant to be honest.

If however (and we had a TD-12 set up here for some time) you seriously only need 2 x audio then I would sensibly consider the Apogee Duet as an audio in/out device. No midi though and I ALWAYS recommend people with midi input devices record both audio and midi at the same time.

Rimmer

Reaction score

Codeseven

See this post about audio interface

HOME STUDIO

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.