PowerMac G4, Processor.

Oiz

Reaction score
Hey Oiz here,

So I've got my PowerMac G4 up and running, I’m currently waiting for my mouse, keyboard and tablet. I was wondering if any of you Mac “brainiac” know of any PowerMac G4 processors that could help speed up my PowerMac. It can be any price or any where, if you guys could have it will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was wondering if any of you Mac “brainiac” know of any PowerMac G4 processors that could help speed up my PowerMac. It can be any price or any where, if you guys could have it will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Are you sure that you mean what you say? What if I told you your Powermac G4 was worth around $100 (maybe a little as $50 depending on the model)...but a CPU upgrade could be around $210 bucks:

Newer Technology MAXPower G4/7447A 1.6GHz... (MAXG47S1600) at OWC

I'm not saying this upgrade will work in your computer...or that you couldn't find something less expensive on e-Bay...just an example of what you might be in for.

Good luck,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Could you please tell us the model and specs of your PowerMac G4?

Some get amazingly expensive when you consider that none of them will even hold a candle performance wise to the first 1.66 Core Duo Mac Mini that cost even new lower than some of these CPU upgrades! :D

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/MaxPower+G4

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some get amazingly expensive when you consider that none of them will even hold a candle performance wise to the first 1.66 Core Duo Mac Mini that cost even new lower than some of these CPU upgrades! :D

It's interesting how OWC doesn't even have a processor upgrade submenu category anymore...now you have to perform a search to find them.

And it's absolutely a CRIME...that they are still charging $799 for a dual 1.8ghz processor upgrade...when a dual 1.8ghz Powermac G5 can be purchased for around $350 (which would most likely perform much better than any upgraded G4)!!!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First principle of marketing Nick. A dollar is a dollar is a dollar and who said something about suckers being born daily? If folk refused to buy upgrades at that ridiculous price they would come crashing down.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and who said something about suckers being born daily?

I think this is the main factor...some folks just aren't well informed.

I understand that some folks may be heavily invested in specific hardware or software & thus stick with their G4...but otherwise it's insane to pay twice the price for a CPU upgrade when a MUCH better G5 can be purchased for half the price of the upgrade.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's interesting how OWC doesn't even have a processor upgrade submenu category anymore...now you have to perform a search to find them.

And it's absolutely a CRIME...that they are still charging $799 for a dual 1.8ghz processor upgrade...when a dual 1.8ghz Powermac G5 can be purchased for around $350 (which would most likely perform much better than any upgraded G4)!!!

- Nick

Yes, I have noticed that for the past few months and still not sure why no more submenu.

Agreed, the prices are way too high for most of those upgrades! Maybe it's supply and demand or something!

OP
O

Oiz

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the links guys. I have a little problem, my PowerMac G4 boots with the normal sound (Bong?) then it loads up and after the Apple logo screen. The blue screen comes up for where I’m supposed to log in but it doesn’t. Do you guys know what the problem is?
Yeah this PowerMac G4 is giving me trouble; I have to put up with it until next month. That’s when I get my Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Could be a big problem. For starters boot from your install DVD, go to Utilities and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported. Take it you have the system install disc?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.