looking to get myself an iMac 24" 3,06 GHz

Reaction score
So, as you all can see, I currently own a MBP, but since mobility is not one of the things I'm using very much, I feel a lot of the money spent on this beautiful machine, has been slightly misdirected.

I'm looking to sell or to trade it (not on here due to shipping) and get myself an iMac 24" 3,06 GHz with the 512 Mb Graph.card.

Honestly, is this something i should do or am I being a stupid guy here.
Be honest...:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You'll love the larger screen. Got the dough? If so, then go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Do you like sitting on your couch with your computer? If not, go for the iMac. I'd rather have an iMac and a laptop, but in the end it's obviously up to you. I think the way I'd like to work it eventually is to have a MacBook/MBP for me and one for Katie, and then share a 27 inch iMac between us.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
You'll love the larger screen. Got the dough? If so, then go!

That was the angle, the screen and the videocard, I feel I payed a lot of money for the mobility part, which I don't use, yeah like once or twice since I've had it, and that was the john... ;D

Do you like sitting on your couch with your computer? If not, go for the iMac. I'd rather have an iMac and a laptop, but in the end it's obviously up to you. I think the way I'd like to work it eventually is to have a MacBook/MBP for me and one for Katie, and then share a 27 inch iMac between us.

I hate sitting on the couch with it, also the bed... It's on my desk 99,9999999%
of the time.
And no, I don't have the money for an iMac in addition to my MBP, I got a wife... and if I do that, I won't. haha:Dlol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 4GB 4850/512
I've had several iterations of the MBP and I ended up selling them off and I've always kept/used my iMac much for the same reasons as you did. If I am going to be on the computer I'd rather be at my desk, too.

I think it's a good alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love sitting on the couch with my MacBook. I definitely do love the sitting in a chair behind a beast of a desktop too, though. You saw my old desk and desktop. It was a great machine. I made sure I had a nice comfy chair too. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do both. Playing Warcraft on the couch is nice, but if I had a quad core iMac with a ridiculous video card, I'd be pretty happy. I can't believe Macs still only offer 512MB video cards though... even laptop PCs are shipping with 1GB cards when they're not using integrated chipsets now. Maybe soon we'll see an iMac with a 1GB video card.

T

todd51

Sur3Mac, this is the exact reason I'm getting the iMac. I have always liked being at my desk more than on the couch surfing the net. There have been the few times where I have used my laptop on the couch, but that was when I lived with roommates and didn't want to be cooped up in room and unsociable. I also needed the laptop to take to the library and class. Now that I live with my parents I'm usually just in my room watching TV.

The nice thing about your MBP is that you could still get some good money out of it. If you really want to, sell the MBP and use all that cash towards the new iMac. Then you can always use your iPhone or Powerbook for light Internet surfing when you want to be on the couch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I love sitting on the couch with my MacBook.

On your lap? Careful with that! Actual laptop use has been associated with early infertility in men. Use a cushion! :Shouting:

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Where do you keep that thing toMACsh, are you that large:) lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On your lap? Careful with that! Actual laptop use has been associated with early infertility in men. Use a cushion! :Shouting:

I use it way up on my legs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Sur3,

If you only have/can afford the one computer here's what I'd do:

Your MBP is still capable and current. Get a nice 24" display (or a 23" ACD) and use that as a dual display or single setup. Then you get the big desktop real estate but still have the option to travel with Mac in hand. I'd hate to be limited to the desk with just an iMac.

I used the mbp and 23"acd for 2 years and loved the setup. Mine is an early '06 MBP though and it became too slow for my current needs, that's why added the iMac to the roster.

Your nice machine + display = win. Plus, get a bookendz dock Docking Station for 15" Unibody Apple Macbook Pro - New Products! by Olympic Controls Corp./ BookEndz to tidy things up and it still will cost less than upgrading to the slightly faster iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Win. Good call, zorro, especially now, eh Pat? Grab yourself a nice Samsung or LG monitor for 200-250 bucks and do as recommended. :)

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Sur3,

If you only have/can afford the one computer here's what I'd do:

Your MBP is still capable and current. Get a nice 24" display (or a 23" ACD) and use that as a dual display or single setup. Then you get the big desktop real estate but still have the option to travel with Mac in hand. I'd hate to be limited to the desk with just an iMac.

I used the mbp and 23"acd for 2 years and loved the setup. Mine is an early '06 MBP though and it became too slow for my current needs, that's why added the iMac to the roster.

Your nice machine + display = win. Plus, get a bookendz dock Docking Station for 15" Unibody Apple Macbook Pro - New Products! by Olympic Controls Corp./ BookEndz to tidy things up and it still will cost less than upgrading to the slightly faster iMac.

Well, I'm going to have to put this on ice, cause I recently lost my job.
Im applying for another job today, but I've been without work now for 5 days, and that costs me.

But the ext. screen is a good idea, only not as pretty, and I really like to have a bit of looks, as I'm obligated to put the Mac in the livingroom due to lack of space.

Thanks;D

Edit: Applied for a job today, and got hired....I'm a happy camper;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 4GB 4850/512
Congrats on the new job! Things worked out really fast for you!

T

todd51

Well, I'm going to have to put this on ice, cause I recently lost my job.
Im applying for another job today, but I've been without work now for 5 days, and that costs me.

But the ext. screen is a good idea, only not as pretty, and I really like to have a bit of looks, as I'm obligated to put the Mac in the livingroom due to lack of space.

Thanks;D

Edit: Applied for a job today, and got hired....I'm a happy camper;D

Congrats on the job man! You made it sound so easy! Haha, I wish I could just go "find" another job any time I wanted to. The question is, is the new job going to affect your decision at all? ;D

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Haha, thanks guys.
I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm good at what I do, and I have the papers for it...,there's a post in the "what do you do for a living" thread, with a movie.

I'm saying this, because there's not too much people for these jobs (crazy!!), hehe:)
So it's easy for me to get a job.

But about the iMac....my intention was not to pay for it, I wanna make a trade, but so far nobody wants it.
Think about it, on the Dutch secondhandmac site, there's no mac for sale in a 35 mile radius.
Mac is not as popular here as it is in the US of A.

Reaction score
With the external screen option, you'll want/need an external keyboard and mouse as well, otherwise you'll have the MBP open with the larger screen behind it. Kind of awkward, I think. I wish Apple had a docking station for their laptops for this sort of thing.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
True, but I have the keyboard and mouse.

And I've just ordered myself a 26" screen, so we'll see.
It has to be approved as yet so I'll probably won't hear anything till monday morning, but it'll be alright, and I'll be happy when it gets here:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Nice one man. Congrats on the job and the 26" .....

No how u feel bout work im going 4mths layover ATM ... I want to upgrade my WhiteBook to a MBP but with out work and $ makes it a tad difficult.

But anyways, well done on your purchase if it comes through :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Yay, hope my advice helped...enjoy the new setup...

Here's my old setup back before I got my iMac and bose speakers...

This plus 3" more of diagonal is what you have to look forward to!!

dual_monitors_2_108.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.