SMCFanControl

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 15" MBP, and recently installed fan control. Previous to installing it, my fan wouldn't run often, but it didnt occasionally if my temperature went over 165 degrees F'ish. Since I've installed it, my fans run up to around 3700 rpm a couple of times a day, sometimes even while I'm not doing much (safari, itunes, word, etc... nothing too demanding). The laptop hardly ever even feels warm since I've had it however, but I do notice that the fans are far more active.

My question is... are these fan speeds healthy to be running like this daily, and should my fans have to be running while doing such non-demanding activities? The fans seem to start since I've dl'ed FanControl around 145 degrees. The speeds just seem high, but since my computer hardly ever even feels warm I'm not overly concerned. If somebody could give me some reassurance I'd really appreciate it!!!

PaHs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice and the advice of some other folks in this forum is to remove SMCFanControl and just let your Mac take care of fan speed and temperature control.

The constant ramping up of the Fan speeds is just going to wear them out faster than normal and it's really not necessary. Your machine is not going to overheat without turning itself off. Apple engineers have designed safeguards into the machine to protect the CPU and components.

If you just wish to use SMCFanControl to monitor the temperature and fan speed, that's OK. However, for that I prefer iStat menus. It's also free.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.