installing vista service pack 1

Reaction score
So it looks like my girlfriends laptop with vista on it has never been updated with the 1st service pack. If i go through the automatic updates it doesnt show up but seems to want to install an XP service pack?? Today when we used the windows 7 "can you run windows 7" program it said it needed vista to be updated to service pack 1. So i downloaded the standalone sp 1 update.

I want to know if anyone has had any bad problems doing the update but as i know of no windows forums i thought id try here and see if anyone has any experiance, im just a bit worried about lossing her data. We dont have any spare hd space to back up to at the moment so will most likely wait till we can back up everything to be sure.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If her notebook requires an OEM version of Vista SP-1 be sure to NOT install the MS "for all" version. Check first with the maker of her notebook (HP, Dell, Sony, Acer, etc) before installing Vista SP-1. Also, the same holds true when upgrading to Windows 7. More than likely she'll need an OEM specific version of Win 7 so that it keeps its automatic activation.

If you install the boxed version of Win 7 to her notebook, it will have to be activated through MS. Best to go with the OEM version for her notebook.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.