Default Internet Browser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Help! I can't find the place where I can change Firefox into my default browser! Where is it? Thanks! :biohazard

X

xthisisRomancex

in safari go to safari then prefs.. hit the pill in the top right corner and then click the general tab and the 1rst drop down menu

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Thanks! But how come you can only change it in Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Safari is built into the OS and can access the system preferences which control the default program

K

Kokopelli

The daily builds of Camino have the ability to set the default browser as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
It's rediculous having to set that in Safari, good to hear some other browsers are taking that away from Safari.. it's just plain sad and very Microsoftian of them.

K

Kokopelli

It is not intuitive but I can see the argument for it being set from Safari though. Other file types do not get their default application set from system preferences either.

If there was a central location where you could say "open files of type X with application Y" that would be the logical place to set this value. But as far as I know there is not, which would mean putting default browser in System Prefernces would be making an exception to the rule, not following the established rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well actually I use a system preference called "More Internet" and it handles all that stuff :) http, https, ftp, ftps, etc etc.. and internet protocols

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.