dongle...os 9 g3/os x g5 usb adapter >???

D

darque

Ok unique question.

I am a screenprinter who has an old g3 being used as a slave rip system... its way old but works great... i would really like to use the software and dongle from the g3 (db9?) on my g5 (usb or firewire) in classic mode.... the photoscript software used a security dongle between the back of the g3 and the keyboard...

is there an adapter to go from (the old db9 (?) keyboard plug female on g3) to usb or firewire?? so i can use the old software ??? long shot i know... new software is 700+ and it would be easier to use the old g3... more or less works but a waste if i can simplify....

totally silly question.... i get it... but i am not even sure how to research the actual item im looking for because im not sure the name of the g3 keyboard type plug... i think it was called a db9 but i am not sure... frys has a db9 cable that looks nothing like the keyboard end on the g3... if no one knows that answer does anyone know the keyboard plug name ???? db9 db 7 ???

thanks
anyone bueler bueler

Reaction score
It's called an ADB connection, for Apple Desktop Bus. You "might" be able to use an ADB to USB converter such as the Griffin iMate or others.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok unique question.

I am a screenprinter who has an old g3 being used as a slave rip system... its way old but works great... i would really like to use the software and dongle from the g3 (db9?) on my g5 (usb or firewire) in classic mode.... the photoscript software used a security dongle between the back of the g3 and the keyboard...

Can you upload a photo of this "security dongle"...including good photos of the connector on each end?

I would be very interested in seeing it.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Is this like Birmy Power Rip. Just use the G3 as a print server and connect to the G5 with ethernet. I saw an adapter the other day at the thrift store it was a Keyspane keyboard USB to DB4. A printer port is a DB8.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this like Birmy Power Rip. Just use the G3 as a print server and connect to the G5 with ethernet. I saw an adapter the other day at the thrift store it was a Keyspane keyboard USB to DB4. A printer port is a DB8.

I gotta find a Thrift Store like the ones you go to...you're always finding neat stuff!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I gotta find a Thrift Store like the ones you go to...you're always finding neat stuff!;)

- Nick

The one thing about living in the big city...people throw away lots of stuff. Last Wednesday someone gave me a Sony Firewire burner. May pull out the CDRW and put in a big HD.;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.