• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

PC Programs on Mac

T

t-lo

A friend told me that supposedly there is a program for Macs that lets you run other programs that normally require a Windows operating system. Is this real even somewhat? He says it's available on the Apple web site but I couldn't find anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
there are several like boches and virtualPC. Boches if free and a bit hard to setup, VPC isnt free. They both need a real windows install CD though and you run in an emulated PC so the speed isnt all that great. Games are out unless they are real old ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
your friend might be referring to X11 (sometimes called X-Windows), which is a Unix-based environment (i guess you could say its like a flavor of Linux). it is an emulator for programs originally made to run in an X11 environment, to be able to run under Mac OS X.

however, there is a program that allows you to run executables (.exe) under X11. cant remember the name, ill post it when i get home. but it doesnt work very well, and i could only get the programs that came with it to work (calculator, windows explorer and a few other lame ones).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
MadSkillzMan said:
are you guys thinking of DarWine?

bingo.. thats the name :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
MacAddikt said:
your friend might be referring to X11 (sometimes called X-Windows), which is a Unix-based environment (i guess you could say its like a flavor of Linux). it is an emulator for programs originally made to run in an X11 environment, to be able to run under Mac OS X.

Right idea, but this is not the best way to express it.

X11 is a windowing system, like Quartz+Aqua on the Mac. It's a set of tools that developers use to draw graphics, windows, menus, buttons and the like from their applications on Unix-style systems, including Linux, Solaris, BSD, and sometimes OS X. On OS X, X11 exists as an option for running applications that require it. It's not an emulator, and it's not an OS unto itself, but it does let you run a variety of apps without having to rewrite them.

DarWine is mostly a seperate entity.

OP
T

t-lo

I checked some of this out and it looks like the only difference in price between cheap ones and expensive ones is that the expensive, Windows vesions give you a Windows license. I already have one froma previous PC so wouldn't a chep one do essentially the same thing for me as the higher end ones (Virtual PC)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
t-lo said:
I checked some of this out and it looks like the only difference in price between cheap ones and expensive ones is that the expensive, Windows vesions give you a Windows license. I already have one froma previous PC so wouldn't a chep one do essentially the same thing for me as the higher end ones (Virtual PC)?

My understanding is, the differences are as follows.

Virtual PC is slow.

Bochs (used in many of the cheaper emulators) is very, very slow.

QEMU (used in other cheaper emulators) is somewhere in between.

Sometimes it's better to buy a $350 Dell, which will be much faster than any of these. You can use a KVM switch, or remote-viewer software like VNC.

Reaction score
technologist said:
Sometimes it's better to buy a $350 Dell, which will be much faster than any of these. You can use a KVM switch, or remote-viewer software like VNC.

I concur, you could probably get by with even spending less than $350 and still getting a system that will run better than Virtual PC.

OP
T

t-lo

That is actually a pretty good idea, but that would essentially take away from the portability of my whole set-up (*fingers crossed* powerbook). What really bothers me is simple stuff like internet problems. Certain videos don't work, certain file formats aren't recognized, sometimes entire websites won't load, all because my computer doesn't have a windows OS. Is there any simple way around that stuff?

Reaction score
You can use IE on OS X, it actually comes pre-installed, the few websites that that I have found to not work in Safari will work on IE for OS X.

I haven't found a video or file format that you can't play in OS X, if it is a WMA/WMV file you can download Microsoft Media Player for OS X. There is also a divx codec around somewhere for OS X but I haven't tried it.

OP
T

t-lo

That must be the problem, because I do only use Safari and before the same videos worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
It really depends on the type of stuff you want to run. At home, I have a wireless network set up between my Mac and PC. I can use the free remote desktop software to run programs on the PC, and have them being shown on my Mac (and I control them from the mac). It's not great, but it works. Before I got Office for Mac, I did that, and I was able to make it work fine, and, you can easily print to windows printers.

Otherwise, Virtual PC is the main option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
ah, IC your on OS 9, not sure if remote desktop is available for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.