burning blank DVD failure - OS X

Reaction score
I just tried to burn a DL blank DVD - I have burned DL DVD's before.

I got an error message saying communication to the burner failed - I hope I won't have to go back to the genius bar at the South Hills Village Mall Apple store as it is far from where I live and I can't drive & I have no one to take me - this has happened before about a month ago and the geniuses fixed the DVD burner software (this was before the 90 day warranty ran out - it ran out on the 14th of Oct. 2009)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What type of media were you using? My Dual Core will only burn DVD+RL DL media, not -RL and there is quite a difference. Also the brand plays a considerable part and recommend Verbatim media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yes, try slowing it down... select a slower burn speed than highest possible then start playing with media till you find what works well in your burner

OP
K
Reaction score
What type of media were you using? My Dual Core will only burn DVD+RL DL media, not -RL and there is quite a difference. Also the brand plays a considerable part and recommend Verbatim media.

I'm burning Memorex DL DVD+R; here are the specs for my optical drive:
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868:

Firmware Revision: KB19
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

This is crazy - I was able to Memorex burn DL DVD's (+R) a month ago without any problems.

Here is the error code I got -

Picture1-1.png

OP
K
Reaction score
(bump) won't someone please help me?

additional info: This burn failure happened when I had my dock moved to the left side of my screen - does this make a difference?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.