How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster

Reaction score
Hi:

My iMac is only a year old, but it seems so sluggish.

How can I clean it up so it "moves" faster.

I have Comcast for my ISP....maybe that is the problem, huh? :)

THANKS.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Need a little more info Elizabath..... I know they say that size doesn't matter hehe.... but what is the size of your HD, and how much space is left?
Following that, before suspecting the ISP, how is it running when not on the internet, ie. just using word, or pages etc?

If it is running slowly then, assuming that your caches, etc aren't loaded to the max, that you haven't flooded it with startup items, your desktop isn't full, and your trash is empty, you could always do a clean install of your leopard or snow leopard, and then a clean install of all the software that you have on there, and then migrate your documents, pics, music, etc.
Taking it a step further, which is tedious, and depending on how comfortable you are with it, you could do what I did....
Clean install of OS X and installed 3rd party software, and moving over the keychains, app support and preferences, and everything else necessary to have all the applications running where you left off. For instance, firefox with all the bookmarks and add ons, mail up and running etc.
When I took the last option, I gained a couple of gig more space, which means that I also cleared a lot of residual prefs etc that I had left over from old applications, as well as conflicting prefs for apps that I still use.
This sped things up significantly for me, but took a few attempts to get it right, as a lot of files needed to run applications as they were, were located in places that I didn't suspect they would be.

So, I guess, a little more info is needed unless I have answered your question already.

OP
silvermac4108
Reaction score
Need a little more info Elizabath..... I know they say that size doesn't matter hehe.... but what is the size of your HD, and how much space is left?
Following that, before suspecting the ISP, how is it running when not on the internet, ie. just using word, or pages etc?

If it is running slowly then, assuming that your caches, etc aren't loaded to the max, that you haven't flooded it with startup items, your desktop isn't full, and your trash is empty, you could always do a clean install of your leopard or snow leopard, and then a clean install of all the software that you have on there, and then migrate your documents, pics, music, etc.
Taking it a step further, which is tedious, and depending on how comfortable you are with it, you could do what I did....
Clean install of OS X and installed 3rd party software, and moving over the keychains, app support and preferences, and everything else necessary to have all the applications running where you left off. For instance, firefox with all the bookmarks and add ons, mail up and running etc.
When I took the last option, I gained a couple of gig more space, which means that I also cleared a lot of residual prefs etc that I had left over from old applications, as well as conflicting prefs for apps that I still use.
This sped things up significantly for me, but took a few attempts to get it right, as a lot of files needed to run applications as they were, were located in places that I didn't suspect they would be.

So, I guess, a little more info is needed unless I have answered your question already.

All is sluggish....I am not comfortable about installing anything.

It says 175.7 GB available...not sure where I find the size of the HD.

There isn't any kind of cleanup like on a PC and defragmentation?.

I empty the cache on Firefox....I tried using Safari...thought the iMac liked Safari better, but it didn't move any faster.

THANKS for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
ok..... sounds like you're fairly new to Mac... so, I'll start with go to Applications/utilities/disk utilities>then go to start up disk (your HD) and click repair disk permissions. (you will also see the size of your HD there)
After that, you may want to download Onyx, or Mainmenu 1.7.4 (free version, but a lot of sites though telling you that you're downloading 1.7.4, will give you 2.x.x.. so keep trying until you get the right version)
Both of these will do all that you want as far as cleanup goes!
Defrag on Mac is not common practice, and not necessary!
PS Safari is no good (my opinion, as is many a people's opinion... Firefox is the one to use), as for safari, easy way to go about it is to go to Safari in menu bar, and chooses reset safari!

When I say clean install, first option, I'm referring to your OS X install discs. So... backing up your system, on time machine ie, and then doing an erase/install, and restoring your mac from the external HD. (There are many ways to back up and do a clean install, so if you want to do that, post that in your reply and you will be assisted with that, and the options available.)

It's all very simple whatever way you want to go!

As specifically as possible, the more information that you can give about your iMac, OS X version, the more either I or the many on Mac Forums will be more than willing to assist you.

OP
silvermac4108
Reaction score
ok..... sounds like you're fairly new to Mac... so, I'll start with go to Applications/utilities/disk utilities>then go to start up disk (your HD) and click repair disk permissions. (you will also see the size of your HD there)
After that, you may want to download Onyx, or Mainmenu 1.7.4 (free version, but a lot of sites though telling you that you're downloading 1.7.4, will give you 2.x.x.. so keep trying until you get the right version)
PS Safari is no good (my opinion, as is many a people's opinion... Firefox is the one to use), as for safari, easy way to go about it is to go to Safari in menu bar, and chooses reset safari!

When I say clean install, first option, I'm referring to your OS X install discs. So... backing up your system, on time machine ie, and then doing an erase/install, and restoring your mac from the external HD. (There are many ways to back up and do a clean install, so if you want to do that, post that in your reply and you will be assisted with that, and the options available.)

As specifically as possible, the more information that you can give about your iMac, OS X version, the more either I or the many on Mac Forums will be more than willing to assist you.

Yes....very new to a Mac....thanks for all your information...will check this out after work this evening.

I do back up the system...had help with that from my son...can't have his help until he comes home for Xmas. :)

OP
silvermac4108
Reaction score

Just found this:

Mount Point : / Capacity : 200.9 GB (215,687,888,896 Bytes)

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Available : 176.9 GB (189,914,132,480 Bytes)

Owners Enabled : Yes Used : 24.0 GB (25,773,756,416 Bytes)

Number of Folders : 146,620 Number of Files : 590,567

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
How much RAM do you have?
Max out the RAM if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok... well any problems, or unsure, look before you leap :) because as stated, there are many a mac hands ready to help in this forum, and there are no stupid questions, so if unsure, ask!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
How much RAM do you have?
Max out the RAM if you can.

I'm sure OP being a complete newbie to macs will not have a clue what 'Max out the Ram' actually means. And as they are not happily doing software installs then they are hardly likely to start playing with the innards.

One thing no one has suggested yet to the original poster is to ensure that you are properly closing applications that you are not using. I't so easy just to think you have closed them by clicking the top left hand button when what they really need to do is close the item. Too many applications left running is one sure way to slow things down.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would also like to add that "maxing out the ram" is not always the solution to slow computers...in fact, it's rarely the answer!

Sometimes increasing ram may help (depending on the situation). The OP's computer is only 1 year old...and most 1 year old iMacs (depending on the model) have a max ram capacity of 6 - 8 gigs.

Very very few users need 6-8 gigs of ram...so maxing out the ram is rarely the solution!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I saw 6string and just have to say it...

"bought it at the 5 & Dime"

Also, is HFS+ based off ext2/ext3? Or is it completely different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I saw 6string and just have to say it...

"bought it at the 5 & Dime"

Also, is HFS+ based off ext2/ext3? Or is it completely different?

Which in English means???

T

todd51

You could also download and install Onyx (it's free) which has automated scripts that will verify/repair permissions, clean all your cache, and also run the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance scripts that sometimes might get skipped due to the computer being asleep or powered down every night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
With sluggish OS, I run the Repair Disk Permissions and yes it does a good job.

Over the last month i have trialled MainMenu and quote "MainMenu is a powerful maintenance tool to keep your Mac running like new, packed in a slick and simple interface. Improve application performance, make searching faster and speed up your disk access. All that and more is just two clicks".
I have found this by far the best out there and the easiest to use, especially for the new to Mac people. To the point i have just purchased it.
A software install is as easy as once downloaded drag into Applications.....

This software made my Mac quicker and in it cleaning it up i have on average received back about 2Gb in each running of it. (every week)

MainMenu download here

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.