Question About Time Machine Backup

Reaction score
Ok so here is my situation and what I want to do.

I have a lot of music and photos that I like to keep stored on my external HD, but I want it to be move newly added files to the HD so I can keep space on my laptop HD.

So, I want to move all the music and photos off my laptop HD and move them to the external HD. I want any new files that I add on to my laptop HD (photos or music) to move to the external HD. I still keep some files on my laptop hd like music I listen to a lot.

Is there any way I can accomplish this with time machine? I'm trying to avoid having to buy any software to do this

Let me know if there is any further explanation I need to provide

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok so now I have better information (I'm trying to do this for a friend)

I do not have enough space to keep all my photos and music on my laptop HD, so I want it all to be on my external HD.

I want the new music and photos I add to automatically move to the external HD whenever I connect it to the laptop. The reason I can't do this manually is I can't keep track and be able to tell if something is already on the external HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums.

TimeMachine won't do this for you. TM is for backups only. Files backed up by TM are kept in an optimized, compressed format that is not meant to be viewed, altered by any application other than TM.

In your situation you simply want to keep files on your external HD to save space but still access the files as if they were on your local file system. You can simply copy your files over and access the external HD like any other HD volume once it's mounted and available to OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Update: Your second post came in after I had already posted my response. I don't know of any free/commercial tool that will do what you want. You can setup iTunes to manage your library on an external drive but that's about as close as I can get. Maybe someone else on the forums knows of a tool that will do this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.