Recent Software updates and how they affect your Powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
I was talking to a friend of mine who also has a Powerbook Aluminum and we both noticed that over the past 2 months or so our Powerbooks seem to be running hotter than before after dowloading all these Apple software updates. Has anybody else noticed this as well?

It never seemed like a problem before, especially b/c I normally use it on a desk, but not we can feel a large amount of heat coming out of the keyboard and it makes our hands sweat. We're not doing anything too intensive, Firefox, Word, iTunes, and video streaming over the net(i.e. CNET.com), not necessarily all at the same time. Anything else more intensive, i.e. Garageband, there's a very noticeable amount of heat coming from the machine, which is understandable, but on the lower impact programs, there's still a lot of heat coming from the machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You guys are probably just becoming power users, so you are using applications that are generating a lot more heat then the ones you used to use.

My old tibook seems to run a bit cooler than it used to.. so Im not sure on that one. Then again my wife uses it now instead of me, and she's not quite a power user yet, so that could have something to do with it :)

S

Steel02001

Also, I dont know your location, the temperature is going up as summer is coming along. I too have noticed my fan coming on more and the temp is a bit higher that what it use to be but I blame the weather more than anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I've updated everything and havn't noticed any changes.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
Murlyn said:
You guys are probably just becoming power users, so you are using applications that are generating a lot more heat then the ones you used to use.

My old tibook seems to run a bit cooler than it used to.. so Im not sure on that one. Then again my wife uses it now instead of me, and she's not quite a power user yet, so that could have something to do with it :)

i really doubt that we're becoming power users. i just tested the powerbook, i was using WORD and FIREFOX for about an hour and this thing is extremely hot. it's just been sitting on my desk and i also use a COOLPAD to elevate the powerbook. there's no way i can put this thing on my lap right now, it'll burn some hairs. there's definitely something up with this thing.

and i highly doubt that the temperature is playing such a huge factor especially so early. i live in NYC, it's not like 100 degrees out here to make such a big difference in the powerbook's temperature. and besides, i use this thing mainly at night after i get home from work. even if i just leave it on with the display turned off, it' still gets really hot.

i don't know, this has never been a problem since i first bought the computer, but it seems like the more and more i keep this thing, the hotter and hotter it gets. and i know it's not me, b/c my using habits are equal to if not less than what they used to be. making a computer out of metal doesn't seem like such a great idea now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Interesting.. no idea on that one.. I do make sure that the laptop is on a surface that allows the bottom of it to breath. It's definitely possible that upgrades etc is making your machine run hotter, although Im not sure why it's not doing as much on mine, but then again it seems every computer is different. Plus aluminum is supposed to disappate (sp?) heat better than my titanium one or so I hear. I wish I could help you out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.