Copying A .cdr File

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.2 gHz - 15"
Hey all,

I recently acquired a .cdr file, the boot disk for a certain application. It's a large file (7.5 GB) and for some reason I'm not able to copy it to my external hard drive. Down to 3.5 GB on my MacBook Pro hard drive, I'm desperately trying to get this file off of my laptop and onto my external for later use. When I attempt to copy it, Finder gives me the Error Code -0 read that it can't copy.

Please help!!!

Thanks very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
your external drive is formatted in fat isn't it (MSDOS disc type).. 4gb is the max filesize in that filesystem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
your external drive is formatted in fat isn't it (MSDOS disc type).. 4gb is the max filesize in that filesystem.

Mike, you're right. Is there anything I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Reformat the external drive

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will I lose data?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, you will lose all your data if you format the drive.

Looks like you'll either need to find another computer to move it to, burn it to a dual layer disc, or get another drive, either internal or external.

Reaction score
I would check out the options in the Applications-Utilities-Disk Utilities.app. There is an icon for 'Convert'. With your external drive connected you may be able to select it and investigate if the option allows for conversion without data loss.

Sadly I do not have a drive to test this on so please check it out and verify what you find for my curiosity as well.

:)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you will lose all your data if you format the drive.

Looks like you'll either need to find another computer to move it to, burn it to a dual layer disc, or get another drive, either internal or external.

Would it be possible for me to move this file to a large flash drive?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Would it be possible for me to move this file to a large flash drive?

That depends on how it's formatted as well. As long as it's something other than FAT32 and is large enough after the format you will be able to place it on the flash drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.