password oddity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual G4 at 1GHz, MDD; Alum G4 PB; Titanium PB
this system is a MDD dual G4 at 1GHz. I'm running OS 10.4.11, with 1.5GB of RAM.

this morning, went to wake my Mac after sleep and after I had been on it a little earlier this AM. it would not accept my password (multiple attempts). I keep my account as an admin account, and I added another just to make sure I'd always have control of it (and it was logged in as well). I re-booted, attempted to log-in, and it still wouldn't let me do so on my main account. I logged into the other admin account, and then changed the password; then, it let me log in.

is there something I should be looking for? did I pick up something bad during a website visit? has anyone heard about any sort of pwd hacks occurring from visiting some website?
would a scan with Clam XAV possibly find it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Keep your eye on keyboarding. Maybe one of the keys needed to enter that password is not working all the time. Just a wild guess!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried to answer yesterday and respond, and it appears the server went down at the time I tried to answer...? Weird. Haven't gotten back to this until now.

Anyway, I watched the chars appear as I typed the pwd in; they all appeared.

I ran Disk Utility to repair permissions after getting back in (as well as downloaded the most recent iTunes, so it shows up as well):

Repairing permissions for “Mac 320GB disk 1”
Determining correct file permissions.
Permissions differ on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities
Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities
Group differs on ./private/etc/authorization, should be 80, group is 0
Owner and group corrected on ./private/etc/authorization
Permissions corrected on ./private/etc/authorization
Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r-----
Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log
Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log

So, it looks like the permissions on my account password got corrupted.
In addition, I opened up the Terminal, and ran "task" and got the last set of logins, and it showed no outside logins; that also helps verify that it was a corruption problem, as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So did you repair permissions? Did that fix the problem?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had already changed the pwd prior to running Disk Utility, so I'm not sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.