MacBook Pro won't load some websites

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here. I have had my MacBook Pro for about a year now. All of a sudden this pass week, my Macbook stopped loading some websites. At first I thought something was wrong with my connection so I reset my router and modem. That didn't help. Then I even reset Safari and that didn't help either. I don't think the problem is with Safari because I also downloaded Firefox and I have the same problem with that. I tried my Iphone and everything loads just fine on that. Even Facebook won't load. Any help? Please.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Got an example of one of these websites? Have you installed flash, etc?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I assume the MacBook Pro connects to your router via wireless, right? What does the AirPort indicator (in the menu bar) say about the connection? Is there a check next to your router's name as shown below?

2009-11-01_1043.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes there's a check. But I don't think it's the router or the modem. We also have a PC and that's working just fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes there's a check. But I don't think it's the router or the modem. We also have a PC and that's working just fine.

No, I'm not implying that. What I want to ensure is that you have a connection to the network. In troubleshooting a computer problem, it's always best to start with the simple things and gradually move to the more complex. For example, if a car won't start, it's usually best to see if it has gas in the tank before you start tearing the engine apart :)

Open up Network Utility (Applications folder => Utilities => Network Utility). Click the Info tab and make sure that "Airport (en1)" is selected:

2009-11-01_1132.png

If you could tell me what the IP address is, that would be most helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Are you getting any kind of message or error ? Do you mean won't load all or part of a site ?

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay, so what I mean is that is won't load certain sites at all. It begins to but then it says it can't because server is not responding. Funny though, other websites connect immediately. It's just weird. Oh, and I was able to access some last night but not today. It's just getting worst.

Here's my IP address: 72.199.241.150
By the way, I turned off my airport and connected my laptop directly to my modem. Still not working.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That IP address doesn't look like one a router would hand out. Typically they're private IPs in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. Did you get that IP address when you were connected directly to the modem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Have you checked your certificate database? It sounds like your mac (for whatever reason) isnt collecting the certificates of certain webpages.

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the IP address is from connected to the modem. I'm connected to the modem now. I just tried to go on facebook and other websites that I wasn't able to. Well it worked... for about 5 minutes then it stopped again! I have no clue!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah, the IP address is from connected to the modem. I'm connected to the modem now. I just tried to go on facebook and other websites that I wasn't able to. Well it worked... for about 5 minutes then it stopped again! I have no clue!

If you're using Safari, try resetting it (Safari Menu => Reset Safari) and see if that makes a difference. It definitely sounds like you've got a network connection. My next suspicion, beyond browser configuration, would be an issue with DNS. Have you installed any pirated software or "video players" from less than reputable sites?

OP
J
Reaction score
I did reset it and it's still the same. But I haven't installed anything. What can I do if it is a DSN issue>

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this. Open up Terminals (Applications => Utilities > Terminal), and type the following (exactly as listed below):

dscacheutil -flushcache

OP
J
Reaction score
I just tried that and it said command not found... ugh... I don't know. Should I take it in?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of OS X are you running?

Reaction score
A different path

I was having a similar problem to this one, but I didn't have Peer Guardian installed. I ended up solving the problem by refreshing my SystemConfiguration directory by following these steps:

1. Open up Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  2. Type "sudo mv /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration_Backup" (without the quotes) and hit enter
  3. Restart your computer

At least for me, some preferences had apparently thrown things off (even though my computer was brand new with barely any software installed), and this fixed the problem.

Reaction score
Undo changes

Hello Charlie,
I have been having similar problems connecting to certain websites and I followed the instructions you suggested and entered the; sudo mv / etc. (I copied and pasted from your post)
Alas, now I can't connect to the internet at all. :p
I would really appreciate if you could show me how to undo the changes I made in the System Configuration. I could at least get back to my original problem!
thanks in advance
dhahi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.