Can I transfer a clone image from one mac to another?

Reaction score
I bought a Macbook pro back in July 2009. I later upgraded it to Snow Leopard. However, now I'm selling the laptop and will by buying an Imac.

I've made a clone image of my macbook pro HD using superduper onto an external harddrive. (I also made individual backups of important files lest something goes wrong)

My question is: Can I transfer the clone image onto the HD of my new Imac? I'd first format the imac's HD (since there's no reason to have 2 OSs on one HD), then restore the macbook pro's clone image onto the imac's HD.

This way I don't have to install all my programs and individual files.

Is this possible?

Thank you everyone!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sure. Hang onto the SuperDuper backup and do not format the OS. When you get your new iMac, the first time you boot it up, it will ask you if you'd like to transfer data from another Mac. Attach your external drive, choose "Import from another volume on this Mac" and the rest should be straightforward. All of your data/docs/apps should port right over.

Reaction score
Have fun with your new Mac, and welcome to the forum:)

Reaction score
Yeah, he does that sometimes... beating people to the punch:)
Don't be a stranger now...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.