How to Pre-Install OS on a External HD

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a noobie w/ macs and recently acquired a 17" Imac A1058. It has the blue screen, no response to boot commands (I can't get it to boot up from disc), has the classic chime when powered on, shows the apple symbol until the blue screen appears. I checked the power supply and it seems fine, so I want to install a new OS.

What is the easiest way to install a new OS onto a non-responsive Imac?

I thought about removing the HD and use ATA(IDE)-USB adaptor to install the OS directly onto it using a second computer. Would this work, any ideas?

Reaction score
The ext. HD should connect using firewire.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you, i definitely did not know that. Do you know if removing the HD and using a different computer to install the OS directly to the HD would work?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,

I'm a noobie w/ macs and recently acquired a 17" Imac A1058. It has the blue screen, no response to boot commands (I can't get it to boot up from disc), has the classic chime when powered on, shows the apple symbol until the blue screen appears. I checked the power supply and it seems fine, so I want to install a new OS.

What is the easiest way to install a new OS onto a non-responsive Imac?

I thought about removing the HD and use ATA(IDE)-USB adaptor to install the OS directly onto it using a second computer. Would this work, any ideas?

Perhaps I've missed something, but have you just tried popping in the OS disc, turning the power off, back on and holding the Option key down to get to the boot select menu?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.