How do I get external hard drive to work with new macbook pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes...I know I'm still knew at this mac thing...so I do apologize for what probably is a repeat question! I did see the post about something similar to this but it didn't exactly answer my questions. :)

Anyway guys...

I'm a recent pc to mac user (and loving every single second of it!), and I just bought an external hard drive which says on the box that it does work with both windows and mac OS. When I put the usb in to my windows to get everything that I wanted off it, it worked just fine. Right clicked on the file I wanted to transfer, sent it to the drive and so on.

But when I plugged it in to my mac, I get the drive icon on my desktop and have no idea what to do next, or even if I some how have to format the two in sort of way.

What do I have to do to get it save everything I want on my mac? And how do I got about saving it in the first place?? :)

I have the most current version of snow leopard if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance ladies and gents!!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mate not Mac savvy enuf yet myself to go into formatting. As far as too say that the HDD should be formatted in Mac OS Extended.

You can do all this HD>Applications>Disk Utility and then click on your External HD

If its all set up the way it should be it just a matter of going into Time Machine ( OS back up program) and simply restoring whats on the HD.

Hope that helps in a way.

Cheers

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If it sees the drive then that would be a good thing.

Have you tried double click the drive to see what's in there?

If every file from your PC is there, then you are in good shape.

All you have to do now is make a folder on your Mac Desktop and drag everything from the drive into the folder.

Pretty much the same process when you are on a Mac. It's just drag and drop.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for the responses guys!

Ok I have the bringing files off of the drive to my mac down....but how do I transfer files from my mac to the external drive properly? Mind you that this is not a time capsule but another (and much cheaper!) brand I just picked up at best buy. 350GB if that matters at all.

Again, thanks guys!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Drag whatever files you want ontop of the drive on the desktop and let go.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drag whatever files you want ontop of the drive on the desktop and let go.

You ever have those moments where you just feel like a dumb a**?? Yep...having that now ;)

Thank you!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.