ipod not mounting with iTunes 9.02

Reaction score
I have just installed iTunes 9.02.
Unfortunately iTunes does not appear to recognize my old iPod, which is either the original or the next. Have never had a problem before.
After plugging in the iPod, I eventually get msg on iPod "OK to disconnect". Of course it does not appear in iTunes or disk utility.
Can someone help?
Thanks

Reaction score
Put your iPod into disk mode.

1) Before placing the iPod into disk mode, make sure that it is charged.

2) Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

3) Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least 6 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

4) When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.

Should look like this:
HT1363_2.jpg

Putting your iPod into disk mode forces it to mount on your computer.
Once you have done that, you need to restore your iPod back to "factory state" using the iPod Updater software.

If you are not sure how to do this, have a look through the following link.

After this, your iPod should be active as normal, though if it isn't, don't hesitate to post back ;)

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for helping. I don't quite understand disk mode and getting there. Where is the HOLD switch and how to set it to HOLD? is it the right facing triangle and STOP button at the bottom of the wheel? Is this done before or after iPod plugged into computer? After I plug iPod in it makes noises and goes through the screens shown in your msg and then to OK to disconnect. No HOLD. It doesn't mount and I can't do any of the other steps.

Reaction score
Hi, for starters:
015-ipod-classic-unboxing_medium.jpg
... here's the hold button.

All 4 steps are performed with your iPod unplugged.
I had to read the thing like 4 times over as well, when I had my first iPod, which is over 5 yrs ago:), but that aside... step 4 is a tricky one.
So just sit down, take the time, and don't let it get the better of you;D

What are these noises you're referring to, is it loud clicking?
If it is, the harddrive could be faulty.

Good luck

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for being so patient. I have had this iPod since 2002 and never had a problem or had to read the manual. The HOLD button looks different, but I guess it is the same. Slides and locks controls. I can't even achieve step 3. The apple icon never appears.
Would I be able to get an older version of ITUNES? Can I have 2 versions on HD?
Perhaps I will just listen to what's on the iPod now and not add/delete anything. I also have backup copies of mac files on it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Amazingly, as a last resort I tried the 400mb/sec firewire cable from my lacie drive, in the iPod and it worked!!! Why? I tried the ipod cable again and it didn't work, but it works to charge the battery from mains electricity.

Reaction score
I believe it is possible to have 2 versions of iTunes on your HDD, but if the older one works, why have the new one as well.

So you couldn't reach step 3 due to the battery being depleted, or some other reason?

OP
P
Reaction score
I couldn't reach step 3 because nothing happened, however long I held menu and select.
Battery is fine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
May not help with yours at all, but since it's not been suggested... My iPod was not being recognized by iTunes 9.0.2 yesterday. Quitting and re-opening iTunes was all it took for mine.

Would guess this is not your solution if it's not showing up in Disk Utility, but worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
When you plug it into the USB slot on your Mac, does the iPod show up on the Desktop as a Drive? There should be a little image of the iPod on the Desktop when it is connected. Not sure if that only applies if the iPod is also set to work in disk mode or if it helps at all.

Good luck.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks nighthawk4. The iPod is "firewire", and no, when using the iPod cable it doesn't show up as a disk. Msg on iPod screen goes to "OK to disconnect".

Reaction score
Hi...may I chime in? I've gotten myself into the same mess. Upgraded to iTunes 9 this morning and it doesn't recognize my iPod (although I can see my iPod on the desktop). I removed iTunes 9 and reinstalled an older version iTunes 8...but now it is saying that it can't read the iTunes library because it was created in a newer version.

Should I reinstall iTunes 9 and try again, putting iPod into disk mode?
Or should I go to Time Machine and put my computer back to an earlier backup (but I'd rather not do this and lose recent work with the iPod is the only problem)?

Any help very much appreciated!

Oh, I tried the initial steps to put iPod into disk mode, but then wasn't sure if I should re-download the iTunes 9 version first. Argh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.