Firefox on mac OSX 10.4 Question about opening links in new tabs

Reaction score
I had an add on that I cannot remember the name of. It allowed me to hold the click on my macbook down over a link and the "dropdown" menu of options for that link would appear as if I were simultaneously holding the ctrl key.

I had to replace my HDD today and lost a lot of random settings like the above. help? ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
I'm not sure which add-on you're referring to, but you can always open a new tab by holding the Command (⌘) key while clicking the link. As for the add-on you're looking for, was it a Firefox add-on or a Mac OS X one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Opening a new Tab in FFox (or Camino, which I'm using) is simple: R-click the link and L-click Select Open In New Tab; or press Cmd-T to open a new blank tab window.

OP
L
Reaction score
I appreciate the help but you're both overlooking the question.

I know that ctrl + click will let me open a link in a new tab; that is not the mystery.

I had an add-on or a setting that you change in about:config that let me HOLD DOWN THE SINGLE CLICK ON THE MACBOOK, OVER A LINK, AND THE "DROPDOWN" MENU WOULD POP UP AS IF YOU WERE HOLDING CTRL AT THE SAME TIME.

I DON'T HAVE A RIGHT CLICK. I AM RUNNING A MACBOOK (WHITE) AND THERE IS ONLY A SINGLE CLICK. I AM NOT RUNNING AN EXTERNAL MOUSE.

I hope that helps clear up the confusion, which admittedly, could have been on my part in the OP.

Thanks again!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You know you can enable the right click with tapping the trackpad right?

System Preferences -> Trackpad -> Click -> Tap trackpad to enable secondary click.

Reaction score
yea, the pop up is gone for for me too

I noticed this behavior for Firefox on OS X dropped away a year or so ago. I use the Thunderbird + Firefox mashup SeaMonkey which wasn't affected - but today after a SeaMonkey update it too now is lacking the hold and pop up menu.

Hoping its still available in some preference setting somewhere - but so far I can't find a way to turn it back on.

Bummer, its really 'natural' to linger holding a link to then open in new tab, copy link, and other alternates without having to figure out yet another secondary key to hold.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.