Can you install a lower priced OEM version of Windows 7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
Can you install a lower priced OEM version of Windows 7 on an Intel Mac?

Here is an article on the OEM versions that I found in an internet search:
Windows 7 OEM versions offer deep discounts and Windows 7 OEM pricing emerges ... some serious discounts available | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

I saw these today for less than the above prices at Micro Center today and was considering the purchase to have Windows 7 on my iMac but thought I'd seek out advice first here since they are single computer specific and did not want to spend the money finding out I cant install these on a Mac. You can find these for sale on the Micro Center website under Hot Deals/Software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, you can use the OEM System Builders editions in Boot Camp. You cannot, however, use the OEM discs you get from Dell or HP or whatnot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Simply put, yes. However, just realize OEM licenses are designed to work on ONE computer only. After you activate it on that one computer, it'll be hard to use that same license on a different computer (for example: when you buy a new computer). You may be able to call Microsoft to get activation issues worked out on the new computer. Otherwise, OEM licenses are exactly the same in terms of functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't know where people get the idea that it's difficult to use OEM discs on several computers (not at the same time, but one after another). In my experience it's been a breeze. Just install it like you usually do and it activates just fine. It's only a rare occasion where it won't, but a simple call to Microsoft straightens the whole deal out. Just make sure you're not running it on more than one computer at any given time.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
What about what is said in this article?

Windows 7 Upgrade Made Cheaper - PC World

And also, is it legal to install an OEM version? I would think so since my iMac has never had a Window OS on it before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.