Memory upgrade: a stange mix of symptoms

Reaction score
As so many others have, I tried to upgrade my memory from the standard 1gig to 4. According to Crucial memory's system checker, the machine is a MacBook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MB402LL/A.

The existing memory is 667mHz, 2x512mb. The new memory is 800mHz, 2x2GB.

When I install both of the new sticks, the computer will not boot. No grey apple screen, just fan noise and the dvd drive checking-noise, then nothing. If I try one of the new sticks by itself, same result. This is true for both memory ports and both sticks. I thought maybe they weren't seated correctly, so I tried switching them and re-seating, both were ineffective whether I was trying one new stick alone or both together.

However, if I try one old stick with one new one, the computer boots and functions just fine. I tried this with both of the new sticks to make sure that neither was defective; both work fine. When I do this, the system profiler reports that both the new and old stick are running at 667mHz, even though the new stick is capable of 800.

Now, I've seen some forum posts indicating that older machines can only work with 667mHz memory, but why would it boot without problems when I mix one 800mHz with one 667? Also, is there a way to downclock the 2 new ones to 667?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Contact Crucial, have them send you new ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm not sure he needs to go buy NEW ram when Crucial will simply replace the ram he has with the correct 667mhz ram with a simple phone call.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.