Wiping OSX and clean instal - however install disks don't work

Reaction score
Evening all,

I need help fast guys as due to sell my Imac 17" G5 power mac with Tiger 10.4.11 tomorrow on ebay. I put my install disc to do a clean install and also to see how to wipe all files. It just spits the disk back out. I find this to be an issue with the machine ie. it only plays some dvd's. What do you recommend?

On files I know you can buy file shredding software or use disk utility, however this won't clean install I imagine ie. wipe all internet files, password set up for OSX. It'l still say Andrews Imac wont it. I've got myself all confused don't know how to proceed for sure without the use of the drive. Please help! ??

Many thanks look forward to your response guys,

Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Do you have a firewire drive? If so, you can make a bootable volume (clone of your OS X install disc) on it and then do what you need from that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If it's playing some discs and not others, or it plays some discs sometimes - I'd try a lens cleaner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like the wrong discs. Are they the original system install disc, or Tiger from another machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The priority should be to get the DVD drive working properly, rather than trying to work your way around it to perform a clean install.... It would be really bad form to sell it without rectifying the problem unless the buyer is aware that it not working properly!
So, if they are the original installation discs, and cleaning the lens doesn't work, then I would see about getting the DVD drive checked out!

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks bit more info...

Ok thanks all,

I have been looking at Firewire or wireless network remote install from my laptop drive. However when I try this the remote installer in utilities doesn't locate the OSX install disk when it prompts me to put it in though the Powerbook G4 mounts it fine. Any ideas?

On the drive in my iMac I will try cleaning it if you think as it plays some and not all this may simply sort the issue. Also what if I just get an external DVD RW drive do reckon this would serve fine to do the install with my disc?

Lastly, to answer yes they are original discs and of course I would mention the drive upon selling I had to take the sale off for the moment while I resolve this one :Confused:

Let me know your thoughts guys,

Andrew

OP
A
Reaction score
To DarkestRitual, can you explain further about how to make a 'bootable volume' of OSX for me, i'm very much an novice so in lay mans terms if you can mate would be great??

Andrew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.