Can I create more than 1 partition with Boot Camp?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have Windows 7 but I want to keep my XP partition. When I start boot camp it only ask me to a.) Create or Restore Windows partition, I select that and it just says click ok to delete xp and does not give me the option to create Or b.) start the windows installer which starts, but I didn't let it finish since my mac just restarted without letting me select how large the drive should be or anything

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boot Camp is limited to dual boot configuration. There are third party boot loaders that will allow you to install more than one extra OS. But my question to you is why you wouldn't just use virtualization software and use Windows in virtual machines? It's a whole lot easier.

OP
S
Reaction score
Interesting. I've seen other Macs, like on you tube, have many partitions, like Tiger on top of Leopard, and Vista and XP and Linux.

I am very anti-3rd party anything. So I don't think I want to go that way. And virtual pc is really the same thing.

Certainly there must be a way I can just do it myself? I guess I would start by creating a partition in Disk Utility but then I have to load the OS. You know I'd really like the freedom to have as many OS's on my Mac as I need, as I am never very sure what I will need. I like to have options.

Does any one know a good starting place for such a project?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would strongly recommend you look into VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop or Virtual Box. Otherwise, you're going to have to do some manual partitioning (which puts your data at risk) and fool around with EFI issues, MBR emulation and boot loaders. None of which are for the faint of heart.

Virtualization will allow you to sandbox multiple operating systems, while still maintaining native levels of performance. Their only weakness is high-end 3D rendering (think modern games).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.