Wireless problem with Macbook & Win7

Reaction score
Hi Guy's
I purchased a brand new MacBook 5 days ago and am very happy with my purchase.

I needed to put windows on for some work programs so took the opportunity to buy Win 7. I have installed it via bootcamp without any problems.

However when i start up on win7 i have no wireless connectivity. I have scoured the forums for drivers or ways to resolve the problems but cannot seam to get it sorted..

Can anyone help pls?

Daz

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot to Windows 7. Insert your Snow Leopard install DVD, the driver installation program should start automatically. Drivers for wireless will be installed along with video, sound, iSight, bluetooth, etc.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks

i inserted the DVD and all the drivers were installed as you highlighted. However after the re boot i still can only see the LAN and Bluetooth connection in network settings. I also have a warning flag against my network controller in the device manager. i have installed the driver DVD again and it hasn't cleared it.

The other drivers such as audio etc are all working now thanks.

where do i go from here pls?

OP
D
Reaction score
Anyone?

This is really doing my head in now.. I have spent all day searching i still haven't got it sorted

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The exclamation mark over the wireless device means no driver or some other problem.

Open up the hardware device manager again in Win 7 and identify your network controller and wireless card. It's possible the cards are not yet supported in Boot Camp 3.0 (Snow Leopard). Go to the card maker's website and download drivers if possible.

Officially, Apple will support Win 7 this December. At such time they will probably issue an update to Boot Camp (3.1, my guess). However, most users who have installed Win 7 (myself included) have had no difficulty with the wireless drivers. Most drivers (not all) needed in Win 7 are the same as Vista.

Are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Win 7? If it's the 64 bit, that might be why as not all drivers are yet available.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
HI there,
I am using the 32 version.
I can see the exclamation on the network controller in the device manager but i cannot even see the wireless card, never mind search for a driver for it. There is simply no mention of it anywhere.

what drivers (type & Manufactuer) do i need for the network controller pls?

cheers for your help

Daz

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again:

OK. Let's do this:

Boot to Snow Leopard. Open Applications, Utilities, System Profiler.app. Identify your network controller card and wireless. The network card may be a Marvell model, and the wireless probably Broadcom. Write everything down. While in OS X, see if you can locate the latest drivers for the hardware you identified. Make sure you download drivers for Vista 32 bit or Win 7 32 bit. (should be the same)

Download them while in OS X. Place the driver files on your desktop in Snow Leopard or on a USB key drive. (better choice)

Boot to Win 7. Mount the USB key drive and install the drivers from it. If you have no USB key drive to use, mount your Snow Leopard volume using the Windows Explorer. Move the driver files to the Win 7 desktop and install from there. Let us know how it went.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
HI There,
Firstly thanks for your help with this.

I have identified the components as explained. I found the latest possible drivers but they only part installed then presented a blue crash screen and the macbook rebooted.

On reboot i can now see the wireless card in the device manager but it has a flag next to it. I tried other drivers and it still doesnt remove the flag.

Stuck!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, let's try this: Open the hardware device manager tree and remove the wireless card from the list. You can do that by right clicking on it and select properties. Then select remove. Reboot Win 7 and let it detect the card and try installing the driver again.

I really don't understand why you're having difficulty with the wireless card unless it's one that is not supported yet. What make is it? Can you identify it for us?

Also - one more thing... Can you get on the net by using an ethernet cable from your machine to the router while in Win 7?

Regards.

Reaction score
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Bought the new Macbook on the Apple store and yesterday I received it.
I installed Windows 7 x64 and do not have wifi :(
I become insane to find the drivers for the device, Atheros AR5008X (I checked it with Everest, this is really the model of the device).
I only was able to get 8.0.0.225 for Win 7 (both 32 and 64 bits) (there is a newer one, 8.0.0.238 but all links I foud were broken), from a couple of weeks ago (hey, it is not so old!).
Well, the device appears, there is a yellow triangle on it, and says "The device cannot start - code 10".
I have tried to disable, uninstall, restart, etc and nothing... really, I am mad with this! :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked around the net for drivers for that card (Atheros AR5008X) and they are difficult to find. Several sites say they have the driver but do not. (The driver should be the same as for Vista 64X.)

Same goes for anyone looking for the 32X driver for the same card. Hard to find. You might keep going back to the Atheros main site to see if they have posted any updated drivers. Otherwise you're going to have to wait until Apple releases a new version of Boot Camp that will support Windows 7. Should be sometime in December.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
how do i find out exactly what the model of the wireless is?

i cant see any mention of atheros or marvell or any other name come to think of it,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.