ac adaptor problem

Reaction score
Hi
I own a Powerbook G4 1.5GHZ
My Original ac adaptor has broken. It was 45w
I purchased a 65w adaptor as i looked on forums and it said that it those machines should have a 65w.
When the machine is off the ac adaptor charges however the minute i turn on the computer its stops does anyone have any thoughts

Thank you

Reaction score
What happens to your indicator LED?...if it has one

OP
D
Reaction score
when i plug it in
its green then turns orange very quickly then switches off.

when its off its amber

Reaction score
And your battery indicator in the menubar tells you it's working off battery power when you turn it on?

Reaction score
There are only 4 components to the charging circuit: The power adapter, the DC-in card, the battery, and the logic board.

Unfortunately, there's no automated test to point out which might be failing. If you assume (I'm not saying you are...) that your power adapter is good, one point of trouble could be the DC-in card, which holds the female jack in the PowerBook that the power adapter plugs into.

Anyway, it sounds like you need a new battery in any event. A number of people, including my wife (only she has the 15" model) , are using this one: NuPower AL12 55.5 Watt-Hour Battery for all Powerbook G4 12" Aluminum Models . Avoid going cheap on an ebay battery, as there are many just junk batteries available there.

If the power adapter, DC-in card, and (to be bought) battery are good and you still have problems, then it's a logic board issue. Hopefully you don't need to go there.

Of course you should always get more opinions on the matter, and not blindly go with mine.

OP
D
Reaction score
I did buy an apple battery also recently so IM not sure maybe its worse that i thought

Reaction score
Well, if you're adapter is ok, and you have a new battery, then it could be the DC-in on your logic board, which it's probably not in this case, cause unless it's loose on the board, it should work, or it shouldn't.

So that leaves us with the only conclusion left, the logic board.
You could take it in and let the genius make his diagnose, and go from there.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.