possible video card issue

Reaction score
I am trying to help out my nephew by fixing his Imac G5 for him for a lot less than a repair shop. I can do just about anything with a pc, so I said I'd give it a try.

It's a 2005 17" Imac G5, from previous expirence and from what I've read on this forum, I believe it has a video card issue. I can't get the hardware diag to run or to start from osx disk, both options put up an apple and a running gear for a few seconds, then it freezes goes to a bunch of lines and puts up a dialog box that says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button.

Some how on 3 occasions, I got the desktop, but it only lasted about a minute and reverts back to the lines and dashes. When the lines are verticle their solid, when their hortizonal some are solid some are dashes.

I have reset the PRAM and the SMU and tried the internal start and reset to no avail.

I fully intend to include images, but I'm not sure I know how.

Thank you very much
Skip

Imac G5 Screen Pictures 001.jpg

Imac G5 Screen Pictures 002.jpg

Imac G5 Screen Pictures 003.jpg

Imac G5 Screen Pictures 004.jpg

Imac G5 Screen Pictures 005.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect you're correct in that the problem is related to the GPU. Each screen shot you posted also shows a kernel panic. (very similar to the infamous Windows BSOD)

I'm not exactly certain which video card is in your iMac G5 but MacTracker shows it to be a nVidia Geoforce FX 5200 Ultra AGP. You might check that to be sure - open it up and look. Anyway, you could try a replacement card if you can find one. Make sure the card is for the Mac. A PC video card will not work (different firmware).

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you, is there a "how to" somewhere to replace the video card? PC's I know, this thing is completely different inside.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you, is there a "how to" somewhere to replace the video card? PC's I know, this thing is completely different inside.

Remember...there is no "video card" on an iMac G5 (as well as probably every other iMac). The "GPU" is part of the logic board (just like in most laptop computers), and therefore if the problem truly is the GPU...it is not as simple as removing the old one & popping in a new one like you would do with a PCI card in a "traditional" desktop computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And quite often kernel panics relate to bad or the wrong type of memory. If you have upgraded the memory, take out the new modules and try to boot with only the original. Also quite possibly a hard drive failing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

As Nick Pointed out (and the fact the iMac G5 has an integrated chipset) you will have to replace the logic board in order to replace the GPU. Like other iMac models (even the newer ones) the GPU is surface mounted to the board.

Sorry about the misinformation. Logic boards are quite expensive so you might want to think that one over a bit. :)

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Like "chscag" mentions...if the problem is with the GPU you more than likely need to replace the logic/motherboard...which is expensive.

And like "Harry" mentioned...kernel panics are very often caused by bad ram...so do what Harry mentioned...remove all ram (especially if it is new)...and then put the ram back in 1 stick at a time...and see if the problem reoccurs.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Video card issue

Thank you guys for all the great info, I'll do some price checking and let my nephew know what he's looking at for repairs.

( Although, I really think he wants his father to buy him a new mac )

I just thought I'd try to save them some money.

Again -- Thank You Very Much

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.