Copying iTunes Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 1.83GHz, iPod 30GB
A few months ago I was running out of space on my HD and didn't have enough money to upgrade internally. So what I did was moved all of my music on to my external. Well I now have a new computer with a bigger HD, so I would like to move all my music back on to my internal, but every time I try it comes up with a message 1/8 of the way through the transfer saying that I already have a file of that name with no distinction between upper and lower cases and then it stops. But at the beginning of the transfer I tell it to replace the iTunes folder since I am trying to put it in the same location. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Sounds like your HD may be formatted as HFS+ Journaled with case sensitivity which may be causing conflicts. To check this open /Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility, select the drive (I would check your new HD as well as the external).

There is an easier way to do what you want:

1) Open iTunes preferences
2) Click Advanced
3) Select 'Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library'
4) Close preferences
5) Choose File->Add To Library
6) Pick your music folder from the external HD

iTunes will begin moving all your music over for you. It will also sync up the cover art etc automatically.

OP
youreyesareammo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 1.83GHz, iPod 30GB
Thanks worked like a dream.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.