isn't my macbook pro supposed to have a 7 hour battery?

Reaction score
i got a refurbished macbook pro 15 inch from apple.ca

the specs said that it had a 7 hr battery, this one lasts about 3-5 hours. is this normal for newly purchased items? or should i send it in for a new one

thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can't expect seven hours for everything that you do. One can't expect the same battery life from a machine if one day they simply browse the web and encode video the next. What are you doing on your machine when you experience this battery life?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I bet you have your brightness turned all the way up and like 6 apps open at once, expecting 7 hours of battery life :D. That's usually the case. Mine is advertised as up to 4.5 hours. If I turn down my brightness to one bar and just have safari open surfing and reading the news in bed, I can get 6 and a half hours. If I'm playing World of Warcraft with iTunes going and Mail and Adium open, I can probably get an hour and fifteen minutes.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Need to read the fine print people. >_<"

20091031-xs4u3cpe965n1ym2mgicqfi7an.jpg

20091031-xq3adxj9up8stqfkw6ji1u5gny.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
so yeah i had my brightness on full. but other than that i was just browsing the web, nothing serious. i turned my brightness down to about 60% and im gunna leave it to charge now and when i get back home i'll test it out again.
thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd
More proof for the need of a "user replaceable" battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Haven't you ever used a laptop/notebook before? Battery life depends on what you run while using it. Having a "7 hour" battery doesn't mean you will have a battery that lasts 7 hours every single time. It means, if you are aware of what you need to do on your computer to get the most out of your battery, you can very well achieve 7 hours of battery life. Also, keep in mind that 7 hours is not the maximum life of these batteries. You can get more than 8 hours out of them if you wanted...you just have to NEED the 8 hours for you to run that long...for most people though, they don't care much about how long, to the minute, their battery lasts...as long as it lasts a good amount of time, and they can get what they need done on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
I've managed almost 10 hours on my macbook pro :)

That was in clamshell mode though :p

Though, with the LCD at about 25%, bluetooth turned off, wifi on, keyboard lights off, only running safari, mail, and adium... i have managed over 8.5 hours.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i got a refurbished macbook pro 15 inch from apple.ca

the specs said that it had a 7 hr battery, this one lasts about 3-5 hours. is this normal for newly purchased items? or should i send it in for a new one

thanks!

Compare your laptop battery to an automobile.

If you own an automobile, and it's supposed to get 30 mpg on the highway...that's probably when you are traveling 55-65 mph, on fairly flat terrain.

Now if all of sudden you start driving your auto at 100mph...can you really expect to still get 30mpg on the highway...I think not!;)

The same logic applies to your laptop. If you "drive" it conservatively...you will get close to the battery life claims Apple advertises...but if you "drive" your Macintosh "like a wild man" (like playing games, watching You-Tube for hours, having screen brightness set high, etc.)...then you will get a much shorter battery time on a full charge.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
lol you will get 7 hours if screen is on dimmest setting and you are just browsing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
you'll only get a full 7 hours of charge if the laptop is off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Is this really shocking news to people? I mean, portable batteries have been like this since their inception, and well.. the fine print? That predates even ancient me ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this really shocking news to people? I mean, portable batteries have been like this since their inception, and well.. the fine print? That predates even ancient me ;)

I think for most "seasoned" laptop users it isn't new news (or at least it shouldn't be)...but there are always new laptop users (like maybe the OP), who may not understand.

It's sort of like Summer reruns on TV..."If I haven't seen them before, they're new to me!";)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" | 250 GB ATA Drive | 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 | OS X 10.6.1
Haven't you ever used a laptop/notebook before? Battery life depends on what you run while using it. Having a "7 hour" battery doesn't mean you will have a battery that lasts 7 hours every single time. It means, if you are aware of what you need to do on your computer to get the most out of your battery, you can very well achieve 7 hours of battery life. Also, keep in mind that 7 hours is not the maximum life of these batteries. You can get more than 8 hours out of them if you wanted...you just have to NEED the 8 hours for you to run that long...for most people though, they don't care much about how long, to the minute, their battery lasts...as long as it lasts a good amount of time, and they can get what they need done on it.

agreed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g
Personally, I actually agree with the 7 hour advertisement.

Screen shot 2009-10-31 at 10.33.15 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2Gb Ram 250Gb HD
I get 6 hours running Safari x1-10 with youtube, Itunes, MSN, and Snes9x.

Reaction score
You can't expect seven hours for everything that you do. One can't expect the same battery life from a machine if one day they simply browse the web and encode video the next. What are you doing on your machine when you experience this battery life?

I agree. I found that just by watching a youtube video my macbook pro's CPU jumped up to nearly 60% of usage. The video wasn't even HD. That definitely eats into the battery from what I've seen. Also, if you want to get the most out of the battery, turn off the backlit keyboard, bluetooth and airport and turn down the brightness as low as it can for you to see what you're doing. The battery lasts for a pretty long time with that.

Reaction score
Folks
I am a seasoned notebook user. I switched to Macbook because the 7 hours battery was very important to me. Unfortunately, my macbook battery lasts only 2 hours. I tried everything including dimming the screen, turning blue tooth off, etc. but no luck. I brought my laptop to Apple store and was told that the battery was OK. No one seems to have an answer for why it lasts only 2 hours. To be honest, they think I am making it up. I don’t care what the testing equipment show. Someone has to sit in front of it and see for himself. It is frustrating. I don’t know what to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Folks
I am a seasoned notebook user. I switched to Macbook because the 7 hours battery was very important to me. Unfortunately, my macbook battery lasts only 2 hours. I tried everything including dimming the screen, turning blue tooth off, etc. but no luck. I brought my laptop to Apple store and was told that the battery was OK. No one seems to have an answer for why it lasts only 2 hours. To be honest, they think I am making it up. I don’t care what the testing equipment show. Someone has to sit in front of it and see for himself. It is frustrating. I don’t know what to do.[/

what is the year / model or your MacBook ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.