Magic mouse tracking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I just picked one up yesterday from my local Apple Store. This time I called ahead to make sure they were in stock. I haven't had time yet to really use it in a standard desktop/mousepad setting since it's the weekend and the house is still in just-moved-in-shambles with my Macbook Pro sitting on boxes with the mouse on another box, but overall with the exception of loss of the 'squeeze' button i'm liking it.

I've set the secondary to be Exposé all windows and this works rather well with a little self-induced training. The lack of scroll wheel is going to work out well since, while I did like the MM scroll 'nipple' it did get a bit gummed up periodically. I do miss the middle click; you'd think Apple could simulate a middle click by doing a two fingered 'both buttons' but alas that does not seem to be the case.

Ergonomically wise, I'd say that it's fine but then again haven't yet worked with it in an office environment. Overall I'd say it's an improvement with caveats in that once again it's a mouse you're either going to love or hate. I'd put me in the love category.

I have no problems with it's tracking speed. Of course I also fall back to the trackpad from time to time but I do know that iMac, Mini owners, and that one guy with a Mac Pro don't have that option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
If there's a tracking update released, will I be able to find it in the Software Update menu?

I also instantly noticed the slow tracking. However, it's nice not to have to worry about a dirty trackball frequently flaking out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have to totally disagree with cwa107. For me the mouse works just fine and I like it. Mind you I had to turn off the scrolling with momentum though as that made it too sensetive for my liking. But with that off I quite like the mouse.

I think the logitech mice are all huge and chunky and too big for my small hands. I tried some of them and liked none of them.

But I agree with walkerj. Either you love or hate the Magic Mouse. And for me I'm in the love category too.

Reaction score
mines fine!

not sure why yours doesn't work mine worked fine once I got the update when I first enabled the bluetooth feature that was a week ago last monday, and I'm no mac guru. I love the finger scroll as my wired mouse the wheel occasionally got stuck. mystified

Reaction score
For me, this mouse has better tracking the mighty mouse. It's much faster. But I hear different reviews on both, pertaining to tracking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Hate to say it, but this mouse sucks.

I was pleased with the formfactor when I first start to use it, but it's proven uncomfortable after just a half hour or so. And the surface, with its glossy plastic is just not working well for gestures. I hate to say it, but I'm thinking of returning it already. Maybe I'll wait to see if they fix it in 10.6.2, but I'm not holding out hope since that looks to be just days from release.

I wanted to like it, but I also returned mine after only a few hours. My big gripe was the ergonomics and the fact that it doesn't work with SteerMouse. I could have done without IF the mouse was comfortable. Just not the case for my hands.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wanted to like it, but I also returned mine after only a few hours. My big gripe was the ergonomics and the fact that it doesn't work with SteerMouse. I could have done without IF the mouse was comfortable. Just not the case for my hands.

With the Zoom Mouse program, it's acceptable. I'd still like them to allow the tracking speed to be adjusted higher. For those with low resolution screens, it's fine. But at the default setting in 1440x900, it takes a good foot of physical space to move the mouse across the screen. How anyone can find that acceptable is beyond me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Are you talking about MouseZoom or Zoom Mouse? Can that make the curve more like <gasp> Windows </gasp>?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.