Magic mouse tracking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro. 13 inches / 2.26 / 4gb / 160GB
Just bought the mouse today! I would give the little thing 5 stars but i really dont wanna have to move the mouse across my whole desk just to get the cursor to one side of the screen. I have the tracking speed all the way up already. I was wondering is there a way to further increase the tracking of the mouse?

ps.. I downloaded the 1.0 software for it but it says I need 10.6.2. When I try to do a software update from 10.6.1, it says there are no new version?:\

Thanks!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
10.6.2 is due out any day now, but it's not here just yet. Can you provide a screen shot of the utility? Perhaps its another setting besides the one you've adjusted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It certainly looks like you've got it set to the highest rate as you said.

Were you able to download the update the8thark mentioned?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes I were. But the speed hasnt really changed. Hope 10.6.2 comes out soon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, now I know what you mean - believe it or not, I just received mine. When I first connected it, the tracking speed was fine. But now that I've installed the driver, even jacked all the way up, it's way too slow for my taste!

I'm also irritated that I have to lift my left finger to right click - I had read specifically that this was no longer the case with the Magic Mouse. Guess that person was wrong or oblivious.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didnt notice that I had to lift my left finger haha. But yea I hope apple releases a new firmware soon.

I hate to see how much people with 27in macs have to move

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give that Zoom Mouse program a try, definite improvement in tracking speed. It's a shame you need a third party program to get it to work properly.

T

todd51

Give that Zoom Mouse program a try, definite improvement in tracking speed. It's a shame you need a third party program to get it to work properly.

This program looks pretty sweet, I'm installing it on my MBP right now! I always had my tracking in Windows set to the highest, which was a lot faster than OSX's tracking. I guess I've just kind of put up with it all these years. ;P

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The program does help indeed. But like you said its not up to my standards.

and the description for each value is quite amusing haha

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hate to say it, but this mouse sucks.

I was pleased with the formfactor when I first start to use it, but it's proven uncomfortable after just a half hour or so. And the surface, with its glossy plastic is just not working well for gestures. I hate to say it, but I'm thinking of returning it already. Maybe I'll wait to see if they fix it in 10.6.2, but I'm not holding out hope since that looks to be just days from release.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Who mentioned you did not have to lift your left finger for right click? I remember when the Magic Mouse first came out I found a video showing the left finger being lifted and posted a URL here at MF.

I don't think Apple will ever change that part, but one can only hope.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who mentioned you did not have to lift your left finger for right click? I remember when the Magic Mouse first came out I found a video showing the left finger being lifted and posted a URL here at MF.

I thought I remembered it being mentioned in Engadget's review, but I guess I was wrong when I went back and re-read it. I could be crazy (probably am).

I don't think Apple will ever change that part, but one can only hope.

I don't understand why they didn't just do one finger + click for left click and two fingers + click for right click. They wouldn't even have had to do capacitive touch to have that work - and it's so intuitive (at least on the trackpad). It's like second nature to me now - and when I use a Windows laptop, I do the same. I can't see why that paradigm wouldn't naturally migrate to a touch sensitive mouse.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hate to say it, but this mouse sucks.

I was pleased with the formfactor when I first start to use it, but it's proven uncomfortable after just a half hour or so. And the surface, with its glossy plastic is just not working well for gestures. I hate to say it, but I'm thinking of returning it already. Maybe I'll wait to see if they fix it in 10.6.2, but I'm not holding out hope since that looks to be just days from release.

same here. Im thinking of getting the logitech v470

Reaction score
I'm sorry it didn't work out well for you cwa107.
At least now I know I have to cancel my order, and for that I thank you for the feedback.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I 2nd CWA's recommendation of that Logitech. They make some very nice mice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.4 ghz ..1gb ram :(
maybe im not a mouse guru or anything but the trackin on my magic mouse is fine no lag.....the only thing i miss is expose ......they def. need to fix that quickly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.