• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Substitute for Flip4Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 266 GHz, 4GB RAM
I'm having a problem with the developers o Flip4Mac. I bought the program earlier this year, then downloaded a couple of upgrades. When I downloaded Version 2.3.0.14, which said nothing about additional fees, I found that, to avoid a watermark on videos converted with Quicktime 7.0, or QT 10, Final Cut Express, or even iMovie I have to pay an additional $29.95. So far, the people at Telestream have not been at all helpful. They seem to want to blame me or anyone but themselves for being deceitful.

So, is here another program that will allow me to use .wmv files on my iMac and use them in say, FCE without watermarks or truncating them? I'd prefer not to use MS WIndows Media PLayer for Mac as I'm trying to maintain a Microsoft-free zone here. :Evil:

Any ideas gratefully accepted. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea VLC works wonders with just about any format that gets chucked at it. WMV files being one of them

You can get it HERE

Enjoy

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, TatMac. I have VLC If I Use it to convert to say, .mpg files, will I still get the overlay? And also, I doubt this will solve my problem with FCE using .wmv files. Maybe if I un-install Flip4Mac? As I save the installers, I feel I won't lose anything but a little time by trying that.

Anyway, good suggestion. I'm going to try making VLC the default for .wmv files. I do like the ease with which QT 7 or 10 does conversions, though.

I also liked the idea of not having to really mess with the .wmv files one at a time, but just being able to use them seamlessly in QT and FCE. For sure, unless I get some reasonable resolution from Telestream, I'll never deal with them again.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
!!

To quote that famous round-headed nerd, Charlie Brown, "Rats!" No joy with using VLC to convert files. For some reason, my version, 1.0.2, cannot Transcode .wmv files. It always displays an error of one kind or another.

Nor, will any of the other video converters I have like Film Redux, FilmPhile, or PunyVid do any better.

Am I going to be stuck with being held up by the Telestream bandits? :(

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
VLC is used for just watching various file formats. I don't believe that it does video conversions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
VLC is used for just watching various file formats. I don't believe that it does video conversions.

Actually, it does do conversions, but it's usually my last choice for converting files...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally Fixed

I finally managed to get Telestream to resolve this issue by sending me a correct product serial number. This is what I asked for with the very first email I sent them. It only took about 6 or 7 emails and a couple of weeks to get them to do the right thing.

Needless to say, I won't be downloading any more of their "upgrades". It seems that they did everything they could to waste their time and mine when the solution was obvious.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.