Using "Parallel" running windows on my mac... now my macbook is slow

Reaction score
I have been using parallel for my windows Project.. and did some surfing too. My computer is sloow now and i was told that it could be infected. WHAT A MAC infected? What do I need to do.. MY provider tested the down load and up load speed. 4700 download 1790 upload. Razzo link said that that was more than they expected. Then I was told to LOOK for a virus on my MAC...
Please send guidance..
Thanks.. Mac user for almost a year.
JAck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
NO! Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!! A virtual machine is a VIRTUAL machine. Maybe your virtual machine is infected, but that will have zero, zip, zilch effect on your actual OS. You know how you get rid of a virus on a virtual machine? Delete the VM. Game over. If anything, maybe your macbook is slow because your VM is taking up too much RAM when you have it open. Whoever told you to look for a virus on your mac was trying to get you away from them because they had no idea at all what they were talking about.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you find that your machine is slow when running your VM, it's because you're running a VM. VMs take up large amounts of memory (depending on what you allocate them) so you may or may not notice a slow down depending on the specs of your machine and what you allocate to the VM.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just to clarify, is the Mac slow WHILE the VM Windows is running or after? If during, you may want to pause the VM if you want to use the Mac and resume when you're ready to get back to it..

I do this with VirtualBox and with a paused VM, it takes up nearly no CPU power and I can use the host machine at it's full speed..

Regards

OP
Dirtdoctor
Reaction score
The Mac is running slow with out starting the VM. I checked with my provider and they SWEAR that my bandwidth is the same. But somehow it is slower. so slow that i can not even Ichat with my daughter who is in the same building.

Reaction score
Its not a virus or trojan on the Mac, amigo - there are almost none of those and essentially none ever reported infecting anyone "in the wild." Is your computer only slow while surfing the net or is it also slow when not connected to the net? It is possible you are experiencing issues with your network adapter (if the former), memory chips (if the latter). Alternatively, how much RAM do you have? You should startup your computer and make sure all software is closed and then open the programs you use one at a time (and close them afterwards) to see if one of them is somehow using excessive resources.

Also, as discussed above, try shutting down and also pausing the virtual machine - depending on how you have allocated RAM to it, those can take up a lot of RAM and not leave much left over for OSX while they are running. My guess is that's the most likely culprit.

Worst case, take it to the genius bar and have them do a diagnostic. But it is not going to be an infection issue.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.